• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Battle of the Two Lightweights, Eastman Vs Aero Lightweight Irvin’s

Lord Flashheart

To chip in on fleece depth, for comparison, I took the opportunity to measure the depth of the fleece on my Aero Late War RAF jacket. Fleece depth on the two mid body panels of this jacket vary around circa 12 -13mm on right side (as worn) and circa 15mm on the left.

Collar depth is typically about 15mm:
IMG_2261.jpeg

R body panel:
IMG_2260.jpeg

Last edited:

Chris 55

It's a very in depth review well done chap's.
Irvin jackets seem to hard to copy.
As for fleece length on the 3 original one's I have they are all different the 1940 wired Irvin fleece is 10mm although the way through including the collar the others are 20mm.
Seam vary as well from narrow to wide.

Mr. Mike

Woops, sorry - somehow I must have missed this review (seeing it just now). Thanks very much Burt & John for the wealth of details and consideration for this comparison! Do you know by chance which sheepskin Aero uses for its other Irvin products? On their webpage these appear fairly similar to the Merino (e.g. their pre-war model)?
thanks a lot!

B17b25guy

Thank you once again to both authors, for your introspective observations. This post was most insightful and helpful to me when I needed it. And, I now have John Lever to blame for causing me to part company with a fair amount of earnings :)

Maou

Hi, first time here, thanks a lot for this really interesting post. It’s my dream for 10 years to buy a Irvin jacket and this years is the years, it’s my 40th birthdays, November 23. after lot of question between aero and Eastman, I finally made an order to aero clothing in early September. My big dilem was for the fleece depth, I saw people with old irvin made by aero clothing, 10 years ago with a heavy fleece 20/25mm and saw recent made with 15/20mm. I had ask to aero and as it said in their web site, it’s made now with 3/4" (19mm) fleece, but due to the natural material is can be less. As I live in south of France the "light weight" is more than welcome :)

ES335

Hi, first time here, thanks a lot for this really interesting post. It’s my dream for 10 years to buy a Irvin jacket and this years is the years, it’s my 40th birthdays, November 23. after lot of question between aero and Eastman, I finally made an order to aero clothing in early September. My big dilem was for the fleece depth, I saw people with old irvin made by aero clothing, 10 years ago with a heavy fleece 20/25mm and saw recent made with 15/20mm. I had ask to aero and as it said in their web site, it’s made now with 3/4" (19mm) fleece, but due to the natural material is can be less. As I live in south of France the "light weight" is more than welcome :)
Welocme, Maou. Enjoy your Aero!

Maou

Woops, sorry - somehow I must have missed this review (seeing it just now). Thanks very much Burt & John for the wealth of details and consideration for this comparison! Do you know by chance which sheepskin Aero uses for its other Irvin products? On their webpage these appear fairly similar to the Merino (e.g. their pre-war model)?
thanks a lot!
Welocme, Maou. Enjoy your Aero!
Thanks you.

Is anyone have experience between the seal Vincenza horsehide trim and the dark seal ?

D97x7

Admittedly I've no actual experience but I'd go for the seal as the dark seal is almost black to the eye, of course it's all down to what you personally prefer really.

Last edited: