• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Battle of the Two Lightweights, Eastman Vs Aero Lightweight Irvin’s

London Cabbie

Here you go me in an original early Irvin which shows the typical fleece density even after 70/80 years...

SfveMa9.jpg
Man, that’s wearable art.

B-Man2

daw

Thanks John and Burt for the thorough write up! Two great looking jackets. Both relatively trim, not too puffy/bloated looking like the Eastman in the photo on page 1 of this thread.

My wife is bound to disapprove if I buy yet-another sheepskin jacket, so must give the Irvin a pass...

Dennis

Micawber

What I conclude from this is the ELC is being marketed as a lighter weight whereas the Aero standard version [ie not their Merino] is a similar lighter weight.

Last edited:

bseal

“SEAM TAPES
John:
The seam tapes are quite narrow and sewn with tight tiny stitches. Contrary to some comments they do have a colour mottled finish and don't look brand new.”

Even though I don’t see it, enjoy and thanks for sharing your nicely done review.

John Lever

It a very brave thing to try to do a vintage finish, none of them really work. I like the jacket but as I have said before Thedi are the masters here, they hand buff and create wonderful colour variations. Levis did something similar years ago using washed goat skin and newspaper.

J.R.303

The Aero Merino has a sort of dry look to it from new. It is lovely and supple and gives a worn in look quite quickly.
Now, I have been toying with the idea of giving it some Pecards but was worried about how dark it might go.
A couple of glasses of wine in on Friday night I did the small panels under the arms and then Saturday morning did the whole jacket with a very soft Redwing boots brush.
Wow, it has darkened a little and imo looks even better.
If the colour was a deal breaker then feeding this jacket really improves the look.
DSC_0436.JPG
DSC_0436.JPG
DSC_0435.JPG
DSC_0434.JPG
DSC_0433.JPG
DSC_0432.JPG

entertainment

The Aero Merino has a sort of dry look to it from new. It is lovely and supple and gives a worn in look quite quickly.
Now, I have been toying with the idea of giving it some Pecards but was worried about how dark it might go.
A couple of glasses of wine in on Friday night I did the small panels under the arms and then Saturday morning did the whole jacket with a very soft Redwing boots brush.
If the colour was a deal breaker then feeding this jacket really improves the look. View attachment 71231View attachment 71231View attachment 71232View attachment 71233View attachment 71234View attachment 71235
Looks great with the Pecards, imho.

Micawber

This is the russet Irvin, does anyone have one in seal they could post up..better still one side by side of anyone is fortunate to have one in each colour…Mr Lever, Micawber, would you guys be able to oblige

Currently I only have an early ELC Irvin with the Fenland Fleece and one of Aero's black fleece Irvin's that I bought new. The black one was a very light russet when it arrived but has subsequently had a re-dye by yours truly so no longer representative of a fresh off the sewing machine model.

Lovely as it is but as I am regaining condition the ELC is getting a bit restrictive so I am interested in current offerings too.

Micawber

If the colour was a deal breaker then feeding this jacket really improves the look. View attachment 71231View attachment 71231View attachment 71232View attachment 71233View attachment 71234View attachment 71235

Can you measure the fleece depth of that one please?

Micawber

I have been thinking about these jackets.

Putting aside the other detain differences of both examples I understand the ELC is branded as the "Fly Weight" which explains that the fleece is not so deep as some other reproduction and original jackets.

What I seek clarity on is the fleece on Burt's example an example of Aero's current "standard" offering? I ask as I do not see a mention of a "standard" or "lighter weight" version on Aero's website. Is their Merino fleece longer / heavier?