• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The AN-J-3 you asked for is here!!!

Dr H

I discussed this with John Chapman a while back when trying to dig out more information on your jacket Matt. He confirmed that the jacket was made by at least several manufacturers (based on pattern) and that following assessment, the jackets were withdrawn and all labels were removed before some jackets were rebadged and retailed through different outlets (I believe that one of John's jackets has a men's outfitters label, can't recall which one).

I'm aware of at least three different patterns (based on epaulette, pocket and collar styles, windflap, etc.) and the goatskin AN-J-3 jacket that I bought from Australia and sold to Ken was quite different from Andrew's old jacket. Your capeskin jacket is a civilian one though, rather a mil spec jacket (I checked with several collectors, John, Gary and Ken included).

My previous experience with my McGregor capeskin A-2, with identical pattern but different hide and hardware from the goatskin mil spec contract, makes me think that Doniger is likely to have been one of the manufacturers that supplied designs for the AN-J-3. I'm of the opinion that there will be a Doniger AN-J-3 out there that's identical to your jacket, but in goatskin.

Keeping my eyes open for that one in a 44... :cool:

Skip

Thanks Ian, for the info. Since I discovered the AN-J-3 through this forum, it has become my favourite design combining IMO the best attributes of army/navy; style, comfort and function all in one. The mystery of these together with being almost as rare as hens teeth makes them very alluring.

So if by chance you see a size 40...

Dr H

I know where you're coming from Matt, they are supremely comfortable - so much so that I was able to wear your McGregor despite it being technically too small for me.
The bi-swing back is great and functional, but it's less fussy without the mouton collar.
I'll keep a eye for you.
Cheers
Ian