• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The A2 jacket worn by Richard Winters in Band of Brothers

Teddy

Thanks to the three of you for your advice. Just letting you guys know I'm personally not going to contact his family (definitely not over phone or visit). Although I have strong enthusiasm and did think about reaching out, I don't have a good approach in mind to reach out and therefore I'll refrain from doing so.

B-Man2

Thanks to the three of you for your advice. Just letting you guys know I'm personally not going to contact his family (definitely not over phone or visit). Although I have strong enthusiasm and did think about reaching out, I don't have a good approach in mind to reach out and therefore I'll refrain from doing so.
I think there are other viable sources of information available who might be able to provide this information to you. Years ago I read that there was a group of local historians, business men and politicians who were promoting Major Winters for the Congressional Medal of Honor for his actions at Betancourt Manor. I also read in that same article than several of his decorations and personal diaries and notes, were given to local organizations like the VFW or American Legion. It might require some additional research but there are a number of Veterans of Foriegn Wars and American Legion locations in the area that might have information about where his military items are. Lastly there was a 506th Parachute Infantry Regument organization that held annual reunions. While most of the members are gone I think some of their children might still be active in the organization and I think they may still have a website. Hope that helps with your search.
Good Luck.
B-Man2

Brettafett

Nahua, I think its great just being interested in the man and what he accomplished and experienced.
Sometimes these jackets, their image or whatever, are the 'doorway' into discovering something that inspired us... I think he'd be flattered.

Teddy

@B-Man2 Great ideas! I'm also quite happy just getting one jacket that's most likely the same contract he wore. Like @Brettafett said the obsession is often not just about the jacket contract but about really living the merits that Major Winters possessed as a leader. Digging deeper, I think my desire for the jacket comes out of a desire to live up as a leader like him.