• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tankers

Swing

veli1 said:
Thanks for the tips guys, nice review Swing... ;)

If you're not hung up on getting a tanker, but want something in that style, the Buzz zip deck jacket is very nice. I picked up one of the size 48s on clearance. It's very big, but you need the room to pile clothes on underneath it to wear in temps that are below freezing. My combo this winter has been white t-shirt, cotton sweater, this sweater... http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/ls925.html , and my deck jacket. That has kept me warm in temps down to single digits. The deck jacket zips up higher at the neck than the tanker, has heavier knit, and the plastic lining breaks the wind pretty well. And since it's blue, dirt and stains won't shot up as easily.

If you don't intend to wear the deck jacket in extreme cold, you'd probably want to order one size down from what you normally would.

~Swing

Swing

asiamiles said:
Swing said:
If you're not hung up on getting a tanker, but want something in that style, the Buzz zip deck jacket is very nice. I picked up one of the size 48s on clearance. It's very big, but you need the room to pile clothes on underneath it to wear in temps that are below freezing.
Unless you get the khaki "Special Winter" Deck Jacket! :)

http://www.buzzricksons.jp/product/us_navy-0008.html

Any warmth gained with the alpaca lining vs the wool lining in the blue deck jacket would probably be negated by the lack of the plastic lining and its windbreaking ability.

~Swing

asiamiles

Swing said:
Any warmth gained with the alpaca lining vs the wool lining in the blue deck jacket would probably be negated by the lack of the plastic lining and its windbreaking ability.
No, I used to own a blue BR Deck Jacket; the khaki "Special Winter" one is a totally different beast.

BONNIEGIRL4

Swing, you had - have an incredible ELC collection, are you no longer into leather flight jackets ? And you can stop pointing the cannon at me - TOM

Swing

BONNIEGIRL4 said:
Swing, you had - have an incredible ELC collection, are you no longer into leather flight jackets ? And you can stop pointing the cannon at me - TOM

Still have a couple A-2s and a B-6. Just find the cloth jackets much more comfortable and practical. And my deck jacket has pretty much ruined my tanker and B-15 for me. After wearing the deck jacket, the other two feel trim, short, and restrictive. I'm sure everyone here would think my deck jacket is way too big (and it is big) but it sure is nice having the waist of your jacket well below the waist of your pants, plenty of room in the shoulders, and not having your wrists sticking out of your sleeves.

~Swing

asiamiles

Swing said:
And my deck jacket has pretty much ruined my tanker and B-15 for me. After wearing the deck jacket, the other two feel trim, short, and restrictive.

My blue Deck Jacket was around the same length as a Tanker, and without the biswing back was much trimmer in fit. But as you say, you went up a size or two, which I guess afforded you some extra length as well as width.

veli1

I'm 178 cm tall and weigh about 84 kg...and if i'm going to order BR Tanker from Japan what size should I order? On the rakuten web site most of guys(boys mostly..)are wearing BR's in size 36 or 38 maybe 40 and they are too short and too thin in the body( 173,175 cm and 58,65,70 kg)so I wonder...but I'm also too thin for Swing measurements and he is wearing BR size 46-a way too big for me...

Guys,what style do you prefer most-1st pattern tanker or 2nd pattern with slash pockets? I think both of them looks nice but 2nd pattern is my favourite of course! More and more each day I find tanker style to be the best pattern for my body measurements, looking at the WW2 pics it's not as trim as army or navy WW2 leather jackets but it looks pretty nice and cool also,what do you think?

03227044.jpg
03227047.jpg

Swing

veli1 said:
I'm 178 cm tall and weigh about 84 kg...and if i'm going to order BR Tanker from Japan what size should I order? On the rakuten web site most of guys(boys mostly..)are wearing BR's in size 36 or 38 maybe 40 and they are too short and too thin in the body( 173,175 cm and 58,65,70 kg)so I wonder...but I'm also too thin for Swing measurements and he is wearing BR size 46-a way too big for me...

So 5'8" and 184 lbs? What's your chest size? You probably will be fine with your normal size (if you wear a size 42 A-2, get a size 42 tanker). The tanker will be a hair big, but that's how they're supposed to fit.

~Swing

veli1

Swing said:
veli1 said:

So 5'8" and 184 lbs? What's your chest size? You probably will be fine with your normal size (if you wear a size 42 A-2, get a size 42 tanker). The tanker will be a hair big, but that's how they're supposed to fit.

~Swing

Swing,i have wide back and shoulders and my chest measurement is 102 cm (40.157 inch) with a T-shirt on and I have a GW jacket in size 42 and it's too trim and restrictive to movement. So,you think BR 42 would be the perfect size for me ?

Swing

veli1 said:
Swing,i have wide back and shoulders and my chest measurement is 102 cm (40.157 inch) with a T-shirt on and I have a GW jacket in size 42 and it's too trim and restrictive to movement. So,you think BR 42 would be the perfect size for me ?

IIRC, the tankers have an 8" over measurement at the chest, meaning a size 42 will actually measure 50" (where as your GW probably actually measures 44" or as small as 42"). You might be better off with the size 40 which would measure 48". If in doubt, contact ELC or HPA.

~Swing

veli1

Swing said:
veli1 said:

IIRC, the tankers have an 8" over measurement at the chest, meaning a size 42 will actually measure 50" (where as your GW probably actually measures 44" or as small as 42"). You might be better off with the size 40 which would measure 48". If in doubt, contact ELC or HPA.

~Swing

You say +8" over the measurement?? Wow I didn’t know that actually, thanks swing...well I think it's a good thing for the newbie(like me :D )to ask so many different questions about sizing,color,measurements etc., if one doesn't want to end with the jacket or piece of clothing which doesn't fit as it should....if I'm going to pay +300$ for the BR' tanker than I need to know everything about it.

veli1

So I have been talking to Gary from Eastman Leather about their BR's tanker jacket and he's a nice chap I admit. I told him about my body measurements (178cm,84kg) and he assures me that I should order size 42 for comfort fit or size 40 for trimmer fit. I like BR tanker a lot but I'll wait a couple of weeks to see what happens on world economic crisis, if dollar would go down again or not...

a2 fng

Mate of mine has just bought an SM Wholesale tanker jkt and it looks and feels nice.Colour is on the green side compared to other repros ive seen-not say M43 or M65 green more of a greenish ala Clint Eastwoods tanker jkt in Kellys Heroes :D :D

veli1

a2 fng said:
Mate of mine has just bought an SM Wholesale tanker jkt and it looks and feels nice.Colour is on the green side compared to other repros ive seen-not say M43 or M65 green more of a greenish ala Clint Eastwoods tanker jkt in Kellys Heroes :D :D

Hi,

I'm very interested in tanker repro jacket and it's on my wish list( but on hold for the moment because of the economic crisis). Have you got pics of this SMW tanker??

my top 3 list:

1. Buzz tanker, priority ( from ELC/Japan )
2. Real Mccoy's tanker
3. MASH tanker
4. WhatPriceGlory- got one last year and I'm disappointed with it..
5. wwiiimpressions

ausreenactor

Given your height/weight I would suggest a new model At The Front. I have the last run in a Medium and the Large was just too blousy. Sold it and reordered the Medium. I have a RM Tanker here and around 8 BR Cloth Jackets. Aside from the zip the ATF old style Tanker is great for the price. The new model is even better by all accounts..

Couchy

veli1

ausreenactor said:
Given your height/weight I would suggest a new model At The Front. I have the last run in a Medium and the Large was just too blousy. Sold it and reordered the Medium. I have a RM Tanker here and around 8 BR Cloth Jackets. Aside from the zip the ATF old style Tanker is great for the price. The new model is even better by all accounts..

Couchy

Hi Couchy,

yes I know all about new ATF tanker style (I have seen forum member pics on usmilitariaforum) but i don't like blousy/oversized fit of that tanker-it reminds me of WPG jacket. I bought WPG tanker in 2007 and i don't wear it anymore-too big and blousy, IMHO it's a disaster. Nevertheless i would like to see your ATF pics.

Veli

Chandler

Is that the newest model? If so, is it really that gray looking? Looks almost field gray on my screen.

Chandler

a2 fng

Chandler said:
Is that the newest model? If so, is it really that gray looking? Looks almost field gray on my screen.

Chandler

No idea what model it is im afraid but it certainly isnt grey of any shade,in fact its quite green looking at it indoors but yet again my shitty Fuji J50 takes another crap pic :evil: :evil: