• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tanker Jackets revisited

Brettafett

Hello all,

Looking at a decent repro Tanker Jacket (second model).
So far, have these options. Any advice and/ or opinions?

Buzz Rickson - Arguably one of the better repros, but pricey! No thanks.

www.wwiiimpressions.com - Also regarded by many as the best Tanker repro, no longer available ; (

www.atthefront.com/WWII-Tanker-Jacket-with-polar-fleece-lining-p/usutkf.htm
Another recommended version, at an affordable price. I know the zip goes all way to the top and shouldn't, but thats not a biggie...

www.smwholesaleusa.com/shop-us/fury-2nd-pattern-tanker
Looks good. SMW usually offers jackets of good quality and relative authenticity...

www.sofmilitary.co.uk/american-ww2-tankers-jacket-by-kay-canvas.html
mmmmmmm

Bronson
But don't want patches.

Thanks

CBI

I think the newer ATF Tankers have the correct upper zip length.......not all the way to the top anymore. That would be my choice. The inside of the neck knits still have some stages creases but these fade a bit over time and are not a deal breaker for me

SMW - I used to own one of these, not worth the price difference as compared to ATF having gently sold my 1 of only 3 or 4 in the world Good Wear Tankers due to it being way too large, I am Tankerless and will probably remain so but if I were to get the urge, I would buy an ATF.

Yes, BR, awesome but too pricey unless bought second hand. The WW2 Impressions ones always looked at little too short in photos .

Smithy

Get an ATF Brett.

I have three of their jackets and each one is great.

The good thing with ATF stuff from my experience is it's made tough like the real deal. It's not delicately made "cosplay" stuff.

Will one of their B-10s I built a verandah and restored a boat, and it came through with flying colours. I wouldn't trust a lot of repro gear with that kind of punishment but with ATF I do.

Their Marsh parka is my go to jacket for shovelling snow and doing work outside when it's winter here.

Can't recommend the toughness of their gear enough. It's made like WWII kit, tough.

Brettafett

Thanks gents, thanks for that.
Yes Tim, I enjoyed your B-10 home-improvements escapades. I have enquired about when ATF plan to reintroduce their B-10. No news yet. Keen.

Monsoon

Thanks gents, thanks for that.
Yes Tim, I enjoyed your B-10 home-improvements escapades. I have enquired about when ATF plan to reintroduce their B-10. No news yet. Keen.

I think a lot of stuff is on hold while COVID-19 is still causing havoc.
Their tanker is great. I have a wool one I got a few years ago and it's a perfect fall/early winter/late spring jacket.

Lorenzo_l

I emailed the people at WWI Impressions about their tanker jackets about a couple of months back. They told they'd get back in production some time soon. What with the corona virus thing throwing most everything in disarray, who know when that will actually happen.

Last edited:

Micawber

Dig my ATF tanker

20200112_141934.jpg

Get it ...dig see ;)

Micawber

I dig lol
Did you order your chest size? Do these run big or small?

I bought two fleece lined, one medium for my son and a large for me. I'm a 44-46" in ELC / GW etc A2 and the large is very generous, the medium likewise, so much so that the fit is adequate for me with just a thin shirt underneath. Verdict - they run large :)

Monsoon

I usually wear a 46-48 jacket. I got an ATF wool Tanker in Medium and it fits like a champ. I'm five foot ten inches and 198 LBS.

Brettafett

I'm 5'10/ 5'11 158 and recon I'd need a 40 or medium. I've emailed for measurements, lets see what bounces back.

Griffon_301

Get on to Yahoo. Size 40 BR Tankers everywhere.

I guess a 42 will be the lower limit size wise... I was hoping that you might have one available maybe... but given the current shutdown in virtually everything, including delivery services, I can wait till this Corona thingie has loosened it's grip on us again..

Brettafett

Heres some feedback for anyone interested.

Juan from WW2 Impressions recons they are planning to restock Tanker jackets in the Fall.

ATF have stock of all sizes and are shipping. They recommended a Medium (37-40) for me, but the measurements are strange... And different from the tables.
Apparently, the jackets are wide so you won't get a trim fit no matter what size you get.
Medium is 130cm chest the large is 138cm. For the medium that's a 51" chest!
Sleeve on the medium is 61cm and on the large is 64cm
Length is 67cm on the medium and 68cm on the large.

Bronson have said there are no plans for an un-patched Tanker version.
Bob Dong will re-stock, but not sure when.

No news from SMW

So, try an ATF adding £60 postage, import duties and taxes. So, that may come to approx £200 total - Hope it fits
Wait till end of year for WW2 Impressions, but due to world circumstances this may or may not be delayed.
Wait for Bob Dong to re-release their Tanker
Wait for SMW to maybe get back to me.

Brettafett

Hear you, but I'd rather get new.
No longer want to try and clean or fix someone else's jacket. Smoke and sweat, replacing knit... Rather not.