• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tanker Jackets - How Would You Rank The CURRENT Editions ?

ww2imp

Re: Tanker Jackets - How Would You Rank The CURRENT Editions

If you like this jacket, keep your eyes peeled to our web site very soon.

asiamiles

bellumbill said:
I agree, I think BR is probably the best repro tanker out there right now, but it is not perfect. The knits are not even close to the original color or weight. I changed the knits out on my BR to a set of originals that I found on ebay.
I've never been keen on the knit waistband on BR's Tanker...it always seemed too loose to me, failing to pull the jacket in enough. I also found the jacket just a tad short, though I should add that that may not be a fault of Buzz, more a character of the original design.

Also, like all the other repro makers, the tag is not correct. Original tankers were sized S, M, L - Also, they was no nomenclature on the tags saying "Jacket, Winter, Combat". There was just a size and contract numbers and dates.
Does that apply to all Tankers produced? It seems odd that Buzz would persistently produce an inaccurate label.

I also think the fits on the repros are a bit off, mainly in the shoulders.
Repro's are in general made from a pattern copied from a single original, meaning that in any other size there would be a small degree of guesswork involved.

I've just acquired a Toys McCoys Tanker...and, no it's not their Steve McQueen HELL IS FOR HEROES repro. The knit waistband is tighter than that found on the BR, making it more fitted around the waist and as a result I find the jacket fits much better...it doesn't feel as short either and the back doesn't seem to balloon out quite as much. The outer shell also seems a touch lighter in weight, though may have just softened up with wear.

Personally I wish RM would produce a vanilla version of their Taxi Driver Tanker ie. without the patches and stencil but with the quilted lining which I'd much prefer to the blanket lining found on issued Tankers. TM's HIFH Tanker also has a quilted lining but the jacket is a civi version, a step away from the original design.

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
bellumbill said:
I agree, I think BR is probably the best repro tanker out there right now, but it is not perfect. The knits are not even close to the original color or weight. I changed the knits out on my BR to a set of originals that I found on ebay.
I've never been keen on the knit waistband on BR's Tanker...it always seemed too loose to me, failing to pull the jacket in enough. I also found the jacket just a tad short, though I should add that that may not be a fault of Buzz, more a character of the original design.

Also, like all the other repro makers, the tag is not correct. Original tankers were sized S, M, L - Also, they was no nomenclature on the tags saying "Jacket, Winter, Combat". There was just a size and contract numbers and dates.
Does that apply to all Tankers produced? It seems odd that Buzz would persistently produce an inaccurate label.

I also think the fits on the repros are a bit off, mainly in the shoulders.
Repro's are in general made from a pattern copied from a single original, meaning that in any other size there would be a small degree of guesswork involved.

I've just acquired a Toys McCoys Tanker...and, no it's not their Steve McQueen HELL IS FOR HEROES repro. The knit waistband is tighter than that found on the BR, making it more fitted around the waist and as a result I find the jacket fits much better...it doesn't feel as short either and the back doesn't seem to balloon out quite as much. The outer shell also seems a touch lighter in weight, though may have just softened up with wear.

Personally I wish RM would produce a vanilla version of their Taxi Driver Tanker ie. without the patches and stencil but with the quilted lining which I'd much prefer to the blanket lining found on issued Tankers. TM's HIFH Tanker also has a quilted lining but the jacket is a civi version, a step away from the original design.

Yes, that applies to all the tanker repros I know of - BR, ATF, WWII Imp. - I had not seen the label on the MOC jacket pictured above, but that is a correct representation of the actual original WWII label. Don't know what WWII Imp. seems to be implying, but if it means they are going to be selling MOC repros I'd buy one to analyze - I have owed every repro tanker made, why not check out one more??

As far as knits, again I realize it is difficult to get things today made out of wool so I understand repro makers are allowed some leeway here. In reference to the ATF jackets, the cuffs are a good color but are seamed on the back instead of tubular. BR knits are simply the wrong color but are a tubular knit. WWII Imp. are a good color and are tubular knit, probably the best of the three. Again, however, the three repro makers have made the knits to thick - my original knits are quite thin and in wearing them and also in looking at original pictures can conclude that they tended to "blow out" easily.

In terms of fit, I currently own three original WWII tanker jackets - two of which are tagged and dated - and have owned several more over the years - I would probably say I have had access to a dozen or so jackets over the years and I can tell you that the shoulders are all uniformly tighter than what you see on the reproductions. Again, I understand the repro makers are trying to get the most general fit on their patterns to make them more saleable. Also, people of today are more used to wearing baggier clothing. Again, perhaps someday, someone will start making a custom fit jacket, ala John Chapman at Goodwear with his A2s.

Best regards,
Bill K.

asiamiles

Here's my Toys McCoy:

katafama1-img600x450-12855931506cacxp73090.jpg

katafama1-img600x450-1285593151kc4nzy73090.jpg

A

Anonymous

asiamiles said:
Here's my Toys McCoy:

katafama1-img600x450-12855931506cacxp73090.jpg

katafama1-img600x450-1285593151kc4nzy73090.jpg

Yes, that looks great! The only minor difference, and this is knitpicking in the extreme, is that there is a space between the size and the rest of the text. But, again, I wouldn't complain with that label!!

Wish I could get a McCoy -

Best,
Bill K.