• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Talking about stencils...

johnwayne

I believe Goodwear tee's are up there with the best (no connection to JC!), old school style US made t-shirts that Aero sell at £30.00 so still not cheap for a tee but I think that compares to others selling that make.

A2 B3au

I'm all set up for my week away I plan on stenciling a bag or 2 ... My exacto knife shouldn't be a worry should it if it's packed away in my suitcase ??

Flightengineer

looks promising lready ...

looking forward to the result

Hi,Thomas.
I've back home early morning. Half a day I overslept and then began to play with the stencil :)
I made bit inquiries and understood that it would be placed correct on the back of the jacket, not on the flap.
Tomorrow I'll finish and show.

Thomas Koehle

yep - on the flap I mainly saw owners names / ID`s rather than squadron markings

due to that I also tend more to paint the jackets back with the squadron info

Flightengineer

Yes, sure I also don't want to place any name on the flap.
I clarified and found out that the 41st Troop Carrier Squadron which I reproduce, was used only sgn patch on left chest (squadron or deployment/base sqn patch) and usually not use sqn stencil. Also I recognized that some of they B15s was stensilled by they group number only - 317th Troop Carrier Group (317TH TCG), it was for 39th, 40th, 41st and 46th squadrons belonged to 317th. So had to slightly change my plans in favor of historical accuracy.

Flightengineer

Also given the "ribbed" wind flap surface, I think back stencil would be placed easier. I don't know how they did it on flaps hmmmm saw few pics on Lost Worlds website.

Flightengineer

Checking & testing

15896e012349.jpg

Preparing

14306338d1a2.jpg

Result

e6f1390f0fd3.jpg

4466de3968a3.jpg

Last edited:

Smithy

Nice work Dmitry, looks great!

Only problem is once you start stencilling things you can't stop, you feel like stencilling everything :)

Looks like you used Marsh font too? That's what I've been using and it really looks the part.

B-Man2

D
Nice work!
Now the forum has guys who make jackets , guys who repair them, guys who stencil them, and guys who research their historical significance, guys who fly gliders, guys who fly airliners, guys who play in bands and makes albums, Damn , I better find a skill if I want to hang out around this place!o_O

Last edited:

Cocker

Nice job you did there!! Makes me thinking about doing the same on my Aero B-10...

@Smithy , quick question for you, great master of the stencils! I'm planning to stencil the lining of my A-2 (have been planning that since way before I received it, actually...), but how should I heat treat it? With the t-shirt, you iron it on the side opposite to the design, but I don't see myself irong the leather of my jacket! :p

Smithy

Nice job you did there!! Makes me thinking about doing the same on my Aero B-10...

@Smithy , quick question for you, great master of the stencils! I'm planning to stencil the lining of my A-2 (have been planning that since way before I received it, actually...), but how should I heat treat it? With the t-shirt, you iron it on the side opposite to the design, but I don't see myself irong the leather of my jacket! :p

I didn't bother to iron the lining of my A-2 that I stencilled. The paint I use will fix/set without ironing after 14 days so I left it as is. The fixing is really to protect the paint if you are going to wash it. I stencilled the lining, left it about 3 or 4 days and then started wearing it and the stencil is fine. If you are really worried you could put a towel over the stencilled lining and iron it but be VERY careful as the leather won't like any serious heat. If it was me I wouldn't risk it, just stencil and leave a few days and it should be fine.

Cocker

Sounds logical, indeed! I should have done it in the past weeks, as it was well over 30°c here,and now it's back around 20 or so, perfect A-2 weather!