• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

T-SHIRT TO WEAR UNDER AN M-422A or A-2

Cocker

Hey Ken, what's the cut on those? What I like about the Overlord one is the trim, tubular cut with short sleeves. Do the Goodwear run large?

Ken at Aero Leather

Hey Ken, what's the cut on those? What I like about the Overlord one is the trim, tubular cut with short sleeves. Do the Goodwear run large?
The size chart is spot on, they fit neatly true vintage fit Order by chest measurement allow 2" movement room and/or initial minimal shrinkage
I'm 39" chest Medium is best for me (21" pit to pit)

falcon_ib

I believe their sizing corresponds the same as other companies like Bronson, so S=36, M=38, L=40, XL=42, XXL=44.
My two in size small run quite true to a 36 and fit well in a comfortable boxy way. Compared to my US size small tshirts like Hanes and Gildan they're ever so slightly boxier in the torso, though sleeve length is the same.
However, they probably aren't any good for tall people. Compared to a Gildan in size small it's a solid 2 inches shorter in the body. This is great for me as I'm 5'6" but I don't think it would be very flattering on anyone taller! I'm sure as the sizes go up the lengths also increase.
Hope that helps

Evan

Carl

Im still liking the Bronson 2 colored T-shirt with the AAF logo on the front . Shame they have sold out :(:(

Carl

View attachment 7948 View attachment 7949 View attachment 7950 View attachment 7951
And my personal favorite -- 490th Bomb Squadron, 341st Bomb Group, 10th Air Force "Burma Bridge Busters" 1980s t-shirt. The back has an awesome design featuring a B-25H destroying the Myittha River Bridge in January 1944. The pilot's name is Capt. A.J. Boutselis, and after some digging, I found this:

From Yank Magazine, April 1, 1945:
"Two weeks after Maj. Erdin's discovery, the 490th got sweet revenge when Capt. Angelo J. Boutselis of Dracut, Mass., destroyed the Myittha River bridge - the target which the entire squadron had missed before - with only two bombs, using the new hop technique. Boutselis was so happy he conducted prayer-meeting hymns over the interphone and twirled his 10-inch mustache all the way back to the field."

Captain Boutselis may have had the most impressive 'stache in the entire CBI (sorry couldn't find a higher resolution picture)
View attachment 7952

Bombing techniques for those interested:
View attachment 7953

I want one of those !!!! I have an original letterhead from that very same BG !

Where did you get that from @falcon_ib

falcon_ib

Carl, I picked it up on eBay a few months ago, the tag makes me think it was 1980s manufacture. Please post the letterhead if you have it on hand, would love to see it!

BIP, good to see you back on the forum. I ordered two t-shirts from that website and unfortunately they never came. They did send me one of the shirts in a women's small, but the men's smalls I ordered never came. I heard that they were heavily prioritizing large orders and the small ones would often slip through the cracks...

Evan

Carl

Carl, I picked it up on eBay a few months ago, the tag makes me think it was 1980s manufacture. Please post the letterhead if you have it on hand, would love to see it!

BIP, good to see you back on the forum. I ordered two t-shirts from that website and unfortunately they never came. They did send me one of the shirts in a women's small, but the men's smalls I ordered never came. I heard that they were heavily prioritizing large orders and the small ones would often slip through the cracks...

Evan
I will do Evan , ill put it on a seperate thread as stationery is another of my collecting interests .

Grant

ELC also did a sweet job on this USN Seabees tee. Like the USMC tee, it fits trim with short sleeves and wide cut neck that really emulate the early 40's tees. The cotton fabric and tube construction make for a very durable shirt. Oh yeah, I get lots of odd looks in the gym where everyone else is rocking Underarmour or Nike crap.

seabees.jpg
seabeesII.jpg

Edward

not a T-shirt but how about this exceptional very early Type II Class A Wool V-Neck Sweater!
Dated January 22, 1942 and just my size (42)! Got it for $93 shipped.
it only has one flaw, a good 1 cm catch/tear on the right cuff but I can get it repaired one day... otherwise it looks like it wasn't worn very much and the label is still quite legible.

Size 42

MYRTLE KNITTING MILLS Inc
(one of the 7 known manufacturers of this spec)
Contract No. W-669-QM-15191
Dated January 22, 1942
A.M.C. Tent. Spec. P.Q.D. No. 111
Type II - December 22, 1941
Stock No. 55-S-91042
Phila. Q.M. Depot

I will only get to wear this a handful of times in Jan/Feb but just as well as I don't want to add too much extra wear & tear to this beauty.
But I do intend to wear it on special cold night occasions.
love that the spec date is Dec 22, 1941 (15 days after Pearl Harbor)
and manufactured exactly 30 days to the date after that! (From what I understand this particular style of knit was around for the Air Corps since 1933 but was re-listed under a new number for the Army.)
IMG_2091.jpg
label.jpg
IMG_2092.jpg

tjoenn

not a T-shirt but how about this exceptional very early Type II Class A Wool V-Neck Sweater!
Dated January 22, 1942 and just my size (42)! Got it for $93 shipped.
it only has one flaw, a good 1 cm catch/tear on the right cuff but I can get it repaired one day... otherwise it looks like it wasn't worn very much and the label is still quite legible.

Size 42

MYRTLE KNITTING MILLS Inc
(one of the 7 known manufacturers of this spec)
Contract No. W-669-QM-15191
Dated January 22, 1942
A.M.C. Tent. Spec. P.Q.D. No. 111
Type II - December 22, 1941
Stock No. 55-S-91042
Phila. Q.M. Depot

I will only get to wear this a handful of times in Jan/Feb but just as well as I don't want to add too much extra wear & tear to this beauty.
But I do intend to wear it on special cold night occasions.
love that the spec date is Dec 22, 1941 (15 days after Pearl Harbor)
and manufactured exactly 30 days to the date after that! (From what I understand this particular style of knit was around for the Air Corps since 1933 but was re-listed under a new number for the Army.)
View attachment 9717 View attachment 9718 View attachment 9719
Where did you find that one???

33-1729

About the only time I wear a t-shirt is under another shirt. With that said I wasn’t planning to get anything like this, but it’s so well done [Japanese] and I thought “why so serious?”

Needles.jpg

CBI

my t-shirts of choice are made by Brave Star Selvedge. They are $18 each, heavyweight, keep their shape, durable, etc. I would put them in the "high-end T" category w/o the high end prices. Very much like the jeans they make/sell.