• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sz44 Poughkeepsie A-2 "Updated Info"

TankBuster

Here's a real nice Poughkeepsie I picked up a little while back. It's tagged a 44, but I think it
should have been tagged a 46.
Measurements:
24-24.25 pit to pit
19.75 shoulders
23.75 windflap
Every Poughkeepsie I have ever owned ran longer in the body than most other makers.
They are also almost always constructed of a thin hide. It makes for a very comfortable
wearer. This one also has its' original AAF shoulder decal intact with about 95% + still there.
The original knits and lining are in very good shape, as is the original Talon zip.
All together, it is a nice clean and completely unaltered original Poughkeepsie A-2.

029-7.jpg

027-7.jpg

028-7.jpg

030-7.jpg

031-6.jpg

035-3.jpg

036-3.jpg

034-5.jpg

Roughwear

Re: Sz44 Poughkeepsie A-2

What a nice find Jeff. Congratulations. You must be very pleased. The hh on Poughkeepsies does vary in thickness, but as you say is generally thinner than on most other A2s. I own a size 44 and yours must be a mis-tagged 46 judging by the measurements. Thanks for posting the pics.

fishmeok

Wow! Why didn't you bring that to the show? I simply MUST measure it sometime for my notes.
Cheers
Mark

TankBuster

Thanks Andrew. Yes, I am happy with this one.

Mark, I wasn't sure if you were going to be there with the whole house thing,
and Clark had already seen it. I'll bring it this fall.

bombs away

Hi,

Congrats Jeff !
Very nice jacket.

And with an identified fighter pilot.
I guess you already have the informations about this P-51 pilot (MACR 8305) ?
If not I can send it to you, but I would be surprised that you haven't found this before...

All the best,

Tim.

TankBuster

Hey Tim, I wasn't going to mention this part of the deal since I figured
there wouldn't be much interest, but................

I have found some info on him, here's what I have so far:

He was born in Texas.

He flew the P-51 with the 20th Fighter Group, 77th Fighter Squadron.

He bailed out over the North Sea and became a member of the
Caterpillar Club on August 27th 1944

He was also taken as a POW that same day. He served out the
war in Stalag Luft 1 North 2 compound.

TankBuster

The funny thing is I bought this jacket to wear. The price was very
reasonable. Not much more than a repro. I assumed the guy I bought
it from must have researched the name and serial number.
Obviously he did not. I've had some fun with this one. What I initially
bought as a nice wearer, has turned into a fun research project.
I sent off for his records a few weeks ago, it can take up to a few months,
hopefully I can find some other interesting things out about this fighter
pilot.

A

Anonymous

Hi Jeff great jacket and in such good condition and a large size to you must be very happy with this find ;) ,Also Jeff great photos of the jacket thanks for sharing it with us :p .

All the best Jeff

Andrew

This is very cool Jeff, yours and Tim's collections are just fantastic and thanks for sharing them. I really like the fact you got lucky with the id of this particular jacket, putting what is otherwise just an artifact back in context is something I really enjoy.

Hopefully you'll be able to get a service picture with the info you've requested so you get an idea of what he looked like, 'cause then you could scour through these shots to try to find him;

"December 29, 1944: I have had my picture taken! One of the guards yielded to bribery and brought us a camera, some film and a floodlight bulb. Captain Warren has had a good bit of experience, so he has been in charge of the project. He took pictures from all the windows and, at night, set up' the floods in Room Five after the blackout shutters were closed. All those who wished had their pictures taken in groups of ` eight, then Warren finished up the roll on some posed shots.' Now the Jerry guard is supposed to be developing the film so that we can get copies of the pictures on our return to the States."

http://www.merkki.com/groupphotos.htm

Take a look half way down, all those small group shots are from North 2 compound guys. Maybe your man is in there.

This is a favourite website of mine, it's where the shots of Bill Griffin came from.

Great jacket and the condition is sensational.

edit: Edward W. Doering Brynathyn, PA, North 2 - Barracks 3 - Room 3

Here's where he slept- top bunk- top of the page.
rucker20Barracks.jpg

Here's the link to the other compound plans etc.
http://www.merkki.com/north2.htm

TankBuster

Very cool Andrew. Thanks for the room sketch. I may be able to ID
him in a group photo if I'm lucky enough to get a photo from the FOIA
file I've requested. So far out of 10 requests I've sent over the years,
I've gotten pics back twice.

Andrew

Jeff, just checked again and as those group shots are for barracks 5 he's not in them.

One other thing which is well worth trying is if you click on the last three names of other guys in his room it gives you their email addresses. Andrew Bolt, [email protected], was in the bunk below him and has an email address of possibly a relative. Go for it- they may have anecdotes and maybe even a pic. Worth a try.

TankBuster

Just updating this thread. For those interested, I received some paperwork on Ed Doering.
It includes copies of some of his POW paperwork, a crash report, and a map.
It's pretty interesting. Still haven't found a picture, but I may turn that up some day.

Crash report made by a Squadron member on the flight

011-2.jpg

Map of where he went down, and was last seen in his raft.

009-4.jpg

More info

008-4.jpg

POW paperwork

007-3.jpg

A flight of 77th P-51's taken around the same time that Lt. Doering was with the Squadron.

006-3.jpg

A

Anonymous

Jeff if I am reading this right the report shows that the Germans picked him up one hour later .

All the best Jeff .

TankBuster

Jeff, That would be about right.
Lt. Doering got in 11-14 combat missions before he was shot down
based on the fact that his awards were the Air Medal with 1 OLC,
the purple heart, as well as the ETO ribbon with 1 battle star.
I received that info from a helpful 20th FG researcher.