• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Superior Grain Leather - Implied Trade Name

Skyhawk

Hi everyone, I was browsing through the forum recently and was surprised to find that 5 Star leather is using the "Superior Grain" name for their new Goatskin.
https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/fivestar-leather-a1-jacket.21668/

I named our grainy Capeskin "Superior Grain" a month or so before they announced their new goatskin name. I based this name on the vintage Horn buttons named "Super Horn". Also because of the fact it had never been used for a leather name.

https://www.vintageleatherjackets.org/threads/headwind-mfg-co-the-new-a-1.21462/

Well I didn't mention anything for a while but I have to say it bothers me. So for the sake of posterity, I am now mentioning it here.

In my opinion it's not too cool of a move and I think that manufacturers should strive to be unique and come up with there own names for the leathers they are using.

All The Best,
Jay

falcon_ib

Have you tried messaging Shawn and working it out privately with him? Not sure what you're looking for by posting this issue publicly. Sympathy?

Skyhawk

Have you tried messaging Shawn and working it out privately with him? Not sure what you're looking for by posting this issue publicly. Sympathy?

Yes I messaged him.

Essay to follow...

I have been a member here since around 2005. I have seen all kinds of different phases and members come through. Some stayed, some left, some are still here. During this time and through my years of collecting and now producing jackets, I have met a ton of great people and some real jacket fanatics like me.

The Wartime jacket reproduction industry is a small place. A lot of the jacket makers have talked via email and phone calls. There is a mutual respect for each others efforts and a since of comradery that I really like.

We all have implied trade names in the industry, "Combat Clone, Victory Horsehide, 50 Mission....ETC.

Superior Grain, and Bull Run are mine.

If I presented a Combat Clone or 50 mission leather here what would be the outcome? Would it go unmentioned? unchallenged? I think not.

I think it should not go unmentioned and so I am writing this post to declare that the names are mine and have been in use for a while now.

In conclusion I would like to say that I love this forum, but not as much as I have in the past. My hope for the new year is that we can rise above the negativity, show more respect, and focus on our basic common bond that we all share. Vintage Leather.

Best Regards,
Jay

Last edited:

johnwayne

Well said Jay, particularly your last sentence, I do think the forum has lost its way a little and doesn't give me the buzz it has done in the past but fingers crossed!

ties70

@Skyhawk, I mean this in the nicest possible way; did you trademark the terms we are discussing here?

Dom,

in the end I am sure we are not discussing anything here...as far as I can see it, Shawn wasn't using capital letters for "Superior Grain" on purpose, but just to describe the quality of his product. The post Jay refers to also uses "...Crafted...Cotton Lining...Real Horn Buttons" or "Knitted Rib".. I would say it was just sloppy typing on Shawn's side (Sorry, Shawn!!), not the intention to come up with future trademarks.

Nevertheless, with the recent development, where other members here came up with similar ideas, I can understand Jay's concerns...

Ties

Ken at Aero Leather

@Skyhawk, I mean this in the nicest possible way; did you trademark the terms we are discussing here?

It's very difficult, almost impossible to Trademark descriptive terms.
"Superior" for instance or "grain" put two desriptive words together and you can forget it.
This is where some imagination comes into play "Timeworn" "Victory" "Liberty" "Jerky"
Initially we had great difficulty in adding the words "Leather" and "Clothing" to the word "Aero" while registering our three word trade name

Thinking caps on the pair of you guys

Shawn Ali

Dom,

in the end I am sure we are not discussing anything here...as far as I can see it, Shawn wasn't using capital letters for "Superior Grain" on purpose, but just to describe the quality of his product. The post Jay refers to also uses "...Crafted...Cotton Lining...Real Horn Buttons" or "Knitted Rib".. I would say it was just sloppy typing on Shawn's side (Sorry, Shawn!!), not the intention to come up with future trademarks.

Nevertheless, with the recent development, where other members here came up with similar ideas, I can understand Jay's concerns...

Ties
Thanks you explained the truth

Shawn

Sent from my SM-J701F using Tapatalk