• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunglasses to wear with your flight jacket...

tjoenn

These are trifles
S
This is American Optical Ful- Vue 12KGF, and yes it's sunglasses of the 40's, but this is a private purchase American Optical, and is not AN6531. These are trifles, because many pilots used gold private purchase American Optical instead of AN6531 American Optical.

Thanks for your answer! A bit dissappointed as I thought they were AN6531. How can you tell? Btw, "these are trifles" is an expression I'm not familiar with... what does that mean? :)

tjoenn

these are trifles - do not worry, trivia :)
AO FV 12kgf and AO AN6531 are the same in all respects except gold, drawing on the frame, and a marking.

Ok, thanks again! So in the 40's, would it be unusual for anyone but pilots to buy these types of sunglasses? Would like to believe that mine were in fact worn by a pilot....:)

robrinay

6CE60DC0-1689-47DE-924A-9756F858E144.jpeg
FC4EA00D-062E-4764-9B88-DAF19773F201.jpeg
Randolph Engineering with my scrip and a set of RE clip - ons

CharlesPaige

I always wanted to have cool sunglasses and my girlfriend bought a really good pair. As clumsy as I am I managed to break them and now I needed a new pair. I wanted to buy one of the best models, but those were to expensive and I had to look for other solutions. That is how I found a lot of websites that sell sunglasses for men at good prices. I got a really nice pair for only 35 bucks and I got one for her too. She liked them a lot and honestly there is no big difference between those and much more expensive ones.
000.jpg

B-Man2

Hey Charlie Page!
Welcome to VLJ. glad to have you here.
The sun glasses look cool. Are you into jackets as well ?
Cheers

Ed Rooney

I’ve been wearing Ray Bans since I was a teenager, primarily Aviators and Wayfarers. I still have a pair of Aviators (they were marked “Ray Bans for Driving”)with brown lenses that I bought in an AAFES shopette at Fort Rucker in Feb. 1991, in anticipation of going to Desert Storm (it ended quickly, so I was not deployed). I have another pair (technically they are Outdoorsmen) bought from the Midshipman store at the USNA in 1994. I have swapped the lenses and temples so much that they are a mish-mash of parts now. The brown lenses and paddle temples from the Aviators are in the Outdoorsmen frames.

My everyday glasses are black Wayfarers, which I find break at about 6-10 years of age - something about the plastic. They snap at the bridge. My current pair is at 9 years, so I am thinking I should grab a new pair if I see a sale.

Up until the mid to late 90’s, one could buy gold or nickel frame AO flyer's sunglasses at AAFES Military Clothing Sales for about $12. That was the best deal ever.

I was issued the matte nickel Randolph Engineering glasses whenever I got new flight gear. They seemed more durable than Ray Bans, but that might have been a function of the compact frame and bayonets. I thought it was dumb that I had to turn them in, since I was always issued new ones. I would love a pair now, but they are so expensive.

Last edited:

Brent

Love my Randolph Sportsmen. Full prescription progressive polarized lenses. I tried to wear WWII frames before but they drove me crazy. I realize the bayonet temple would probably look better but can't really handle that either. Expensive? Maybe, life time guaranteed replacement and repair.

Pic returning from treatment, hair loss. Pre-Covid. Oh, there are plenty pics of me wearing leather jackets and these glasses.

Regards,
20190410_115139.jpg