• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sunglasses to wear with your flight jacket...

Smithy

You'd be best to email the companies in question Greg and ask for some info about the lens. Although as they're both around the 12 to 13 quid mark you have to have doubts about the quality of the lens.

johnwayne

Vintage B&L Outdoorsman (the springlike wrap around the ears can be irritating but they ain’t gonna fall off anytime) or Randolph’s which I believe are official USAF still but sometimes it’s Clubmasters and I particularly like my Persol ‘McQueen’ fold ups as they do give good eye cover from sides. Sorry no pics Steve!!

Greg Gale

You'd be best to email the companies in question Greg and ask for some info about the lens. Although as they're both around the 12 to 13 quid mark you have to have doubts about the quality of the lens.

They just replied to my email. They're not UV lenses :(

Smithy

They just replied to my email. They're not UV lenses :(

TBH I didn't think they would be for that price Greg. If I were you, I'd save up for the real deal. You've got your standard Ray-Ban aviators in the meantime so you've got a damn good pair of sunnies already to use whilst flying.

Save your pennies for the real thing.

johnwayne

Gone right off Ray Bans since they sold out to Luxottica of Italy, quality as dropped by some way IMO, for that reason I’ve sought out vintage versions! The Italians now seem to own most popular brands so they’re all much of a muchness and not worth the price tag the original quality would command. Unfortunately that’s how life is now with most top of the line brands be it clothing, shoes, you name it, as has been discussed elsewhere on this forum!!

Edward

I have three pair of 1930s wire Willson Sunglasses. Thomas A. Willson & Co. opened the first factory in the world to manufacture optical glass for lenses and reading glasses in Reading, Pennsylvania in 1871. In 1929 the company became Willson Goggles, Inc., and by World War II, Willson Goggles was helping the war effort by making aviator goggles and high altitude oxygen masks for pilots in the military. In 1936, the company again changed its name to Willson Products, Inc. and began to produce fashionable sunglasses. So iconic American eyewear with a touch of WWII history to boot. LOL! they are of course a bit uncomfortable to wear after an hour or so and leave a nice indentation across the bridge of the nose. so fashionable! LOL!

IMG_9904.JPG

IMG_9905.JPG

fleet16b

Rayban Signet Sunglasses. Have worn them for almost 30 yrs

Attachments

• 10B83CE2-5765-4D4D-A45E-6490672E9DB6.jpeg
    10B83CE2-5765-4D4D-A45E-6490672E9DB6.jpeg
    108.7 KB · Views: 409

tjoenn

So, while on vacation in Florida, I bought these sunglasses on eBay which the seller claimed were original issued WWII aviator sunglasses. I can't believe I didn't check with anyone here before buying them, so fingers crossed that the gentleman was telling me the truth. They sure are in good condition though... Anyone care to confirm whether they are/are not WWII? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 413
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    296.4 KB · Views: 382
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 384
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    184.3 KB · Views: 413
  • IMG_6281.JPG
    IMG_6281.JPG
    868.6 KB · Views: 420

Edward

Wow! Tjoenn! If those are repros then they are the most authentic looking ones I’ve seen and I want to know where to buy them! They look legit, have the correct shape and if authentic you have one of the finest pair ever found! Hope you got a nice deal on them but they look worth the money.

tjoenn

Wow! Tjoenn! If those are repros then they are the most authentic looking ones I’ve seen and I want to know where to buy them! They look legit, have the correct shape and if authentic you have one of the finest pair ever found! Hope you got a nice deal on them but they look worth the money.
Well, the seller seemed legit, and add stated that 10% of the sale would benefit families of WWII veterans, but of course that could be a gimmick. It was listed at $225 and I offered $150 which was declined and then $170 which was accepted. Immediately afterwards, I was kicking myself for not checking here for authenticity before buying (as I know nothing about WWII sunglasses except for the little I've found online). They are definitely wearers like the seller stated, but maybe I paid too much (although in that condition and if they are authentic, I think they're well worth $170).

33-1729

These are standard USAF issue sunglasses I got in the late 60's or early 70's. I've been using them since I got them and I'm glad they’re still holding up well. They aren't polarized, so I primarily use them in my car so I can see the heads up display.

IMG_1143.JPG

The WWII version in the post above looks GREAT!

Brettafett

Has anyone had experience with both the Ao and Randolph? I had a couple of pairs of Randolph aviators, but after some time, the screws came loose and they kinda fell apart. My RB Caravans are nice, but they do slip down my nose a bit and do feel a touch on the fragile side, although thus far, they have held up well.
AOs are tempting me.

zoomer

I have three pair of 1930s wire Willson Sunglasses.
I have one repop of these made under the Lindbergh name. (I have never seen a pic of Lindy wearing sunglasses of any kind.)

The bridge doesn't give me much grief, b/c the cable temples don't allow for a lot of rubbing, but if I was gonna wear them full time, I'd probably glue a strip of leather to the back side, just to be sure.

Last edited:

zoomer

Into all things 1930s as I am, I am curious about this style of shades, which may have been prewar USAAC issue. You see them, or something similar, now and then in pre-war pix of pilots.

1. Is the bridge hinged? (They must have been unusually prone to breakage.)
2. How does that work vis à vis the temples?
3. Is that a single nose cushion?
30susacavsnglsorigcaseobv_540x428.jpg