• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Summer Weight Jacket

Ginger

Hi Folks - new to the site and to leatherjacketology. I'm looking for a summer weight A2 (or A2 style) leather jacket. Is there such a thing or are goatskin A2s the closest you could get to lightweight? Any suggestions as to other suitable leathers (lamb/cape?) and which manufacturer might be best (ELC have confirmed they can't help with a cape A2), gratefully received.

Rgds,

G.

watchmanjimg

Lost Worlds offers an A-2 in 2-2.5 oz. seal brown goatskin, and I'm sure Goodwear can accommodate a request for lighter hide.

airfrogusmc

Ginger said:
Hi Folks - new to the site and to leatherjacketology. I'm looking for a summer weight A2 (or A2 style) leather jacket. Is there such a thing or are goatskin A2s the closest you could get to lightweight? Any suggestions as to other suitable leathers (lamb/cape?) and which manufacturer might be best (ELC have confirmed they can't help), gratefully received.

Rgds,

G.

Have you considered an A-1 in cape?

bfrench

Administrator
Ginger said:
Hi Folks - new to the site and to leatherjacketology. I'm looking for a summer weight A2 (or A2 style) leather jacket. Is there such a thing or are goatskin A2s the closest you could get to lightweight? Any suggestions as to other suitable leathers (lamb/cape?) and which manufacturer might be best (ELC have confirmed they can't help with a cape A2), gratefully received.

Rgds,

G.

Gibson and Barnes offer an A-2 and G-1 in cloth with a few different colours to choose.

Bill French

Vcruiser

I'm with Allen!
An A-1 in Capeskin would be hard to beat! GoodWear...Eastman...and Aero make them!
The GoodWear is simple gorgeous...!!!
Van

Ginger

Yes, I did think of the A1 in cape but am not convinced the style would suit me - which is what prompted the question to ELC re a cape A2. Does anyone have a repro cape A1 - with photos of it being worn?

G.

zoomer

Here I am in my Willis & Geiger cape A-1 (no longer made). Please excuse the saxophone. :mrgreen:
2373745565_514ecd6373.jpg

Ginger

Great pic, thanks Zoomer. Presume you don't play that while you're flying - not in the JN4 anyway? Anything with a clearer view of the collar?

G.

No, don't worry - just been rummaging through the A1 thread which has a good few repro pics!!

bseal

Ginger said:
Great pic, thanks Zoomer. Presume you don't play that while you're flying - not in the JN4 anyway? Anything with a clearer view of the collar?

G.

No, don't worry - just been rummaging through the A1 thread which has a good few repro pics!!

WGA-1russetcapeskin001.jpg

airfrogusmc

Hey Van John sent me a swatch of the cape he's using. VERY NICE. If you want, pm me and I'll pass it on to ya.

Here is that same Goodwear A-1 being worn. Its a great jacket for warmer weather. I was surprised at how light it is. Someone described an A-1 as being like a leather cardigan on the forum somewhere and that's a pretty good description.

Sorry I couldn't find a better mannequin to drape it on. I photograph badly. In real life I'm only about nine-tenths as ugly as the picture makes me seem.

IMG_1987.jpg

Ginger

Thanks Rick, good pic; the drape of that cape leather looks great. I like everything about the A1 - except the collar. Is a shirt collar style definitely verboten?

G.

Thanks Ginger. Cape is really nice choice for a light jacket, yeah. I think I remember pictures of civilian jackets that are like A-1's except for a regular collar in the "Anything and Everything A-1 thread. You could take a look there. Probably Goodwear John could make you an A-1 with regular collar if that's what you'd prefer.

dujardin

hello Rick,

jacket looks great, she has a really ''nostalgic'' look.
i really enjoy her. maybe that in a year or two i will request John to make one for me.

byeeeee marcel