• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Submarine/ RAF jumper

Southoftheborder

Outdoor Knitwear AKA Kempton, the makers of the original Wooly Pully make a very good replica of the deck jumpers they used to supply to the RN. I'm pretty sure they supply Silvermans among others. If you buy direct from their website they are a bit cheaper too.

crism1

I don't know the military specs but Montgomery website sells one for a good price. Imho it totally looks the part in length, fit, raglan shoulders, but you guys know more I guess. I have it and it's thick, no wind gets through it, it smells like wet sheep, and the vintage fit is super on me. I'm extra happy with it, people can't stop touching it cause nowadays it's hard to find a thick 100% wool sweater since most of the brands go for polyester. Well I know that polyester is supposed to keep warm but, under weird circustamces, I tried two sweaters under the same weather, one being the Monty wool, one poly, both same thickness approx (poly a bit thicker). Well there's just no game, my submariner is completely immune to wind/cold, while for some reason the poly can't keep me nearly as much as warm.

London Cabbie

Attachments

• 479B8ED3-A96C-4B50-A431-4E2AF6FF0CBB.jpeg
    479B8ED3-A96C-4B50-A431-4E2AF6FF0CBB.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 278

Southoftheborder

Don't know if this one will have the reinforcement around the neck that the originals and the Kempton/Outdoor Knitwear has. That is also very long down to the hips like originals to keep the crown jewels warm, while modern loosely based copies are a lot shorter. I've got a couple, one from Kempton and one from Nauticalia - which is a nice soft wool jumper but not anything like a correct RN one. The only one that is a real replica of the RN one is the Outdoor Knitwear because they still have the patterns from when they supplied the navy.

MikeyB-17

Somebody back along had a jumper in natural black wool which looked really nice. Maybe not an authentic military design, but it was cool-well, probably not, but I liked it.

Smithy

Sir they jump from 36” to 40” and I am around 38”... do I go 36” or 40” Thankyou.

I'm 6'2'' and have a 41 to 42'' chest and pretty big shoulders. I went with the large and I'm really happy with it. If I was you I'd go medium. The sub jumper shouldn't fit like a sausage skin as that just looks daft IMO.

London Cabbie

Cheers Smithy.
Size 40” medium.
Even though it says preshrunk, machine washable I reckon it will still shrink a tad.
Advice appreciated