• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Strike Hard Strike Sure" - RAF Bomber Command

Micawber

287168235_4788323467938595_5932231043941186167_n.jpg

Paul Glover

I had the pleasure of visiting London recently and made a point of seeking out this memorial.
Of course it took way too long to be commisioned but the attention to detail is absolutely superb ! And in my opinion a fitting tribute to the heroes that were bomber crews and the personnel that kept them up in the air.
IMG_20220527_144211892_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220527_144309530_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220527_144227240.jpg

Micawber

Micawber

Following their briefing, Handley Page Halifax crews of No. 76 Squadron RAF board their transports at Holme-on-Spalding-Moor, Yorkshire, to be driven to their dispersals in preparation for a raid on Kassel, Germany. This raid, on 22/23 October 1943, was the most devastating delivered on a German city since the 'firestorm' raid on Hamburg in the previous July. Of the 569 aircraft used in the attack, 43 were lost, of which 25 were Halifaxes.

Handley Page Halifax crews of No. 76 Squadron RAF board their transports at Holme-on-Spalding-...jpg

Smithy

Thanks for keeping this thread going Steve. I've been a bit AWOL of late around VLJ so I really appreciate you keeping it ticking along.

Thanks mate!

Smithy

Most who have been in this thread know I have a special interest in 75 (NZ) Sqn with regards to BC and I've recently been reading the excellent history of the squadron by Ward and Newey.

Anyway I thought I'd post this as it's a great snap...

Flight Sergeant Tapua (Tap) Heperi, Wireless Operator from C Flight, 75 Sqn at RAF Mepal on his crew’s return from a daylight raid on Essen, 11th of March 1945. Tap is enjoying a mug of char and a wad (tea and bun/hunk of cake).

FlightSergeantTapuaHeperi-Mepal-11March1945-735x1024.jpg

Micawber

Pinocchio', a veteran Halifax of No 102 Squadron at Pocklington, has the bomb symbol for its 26th operation painted on its fuselage by a member of the ground crew, April 1943. The ice cream cornets represent raids on Italian targets and the key indicates the aircraft's 21st operation.
IWM Caption and Photo

Pinocchio', a veteran Halifax of No 102 Squadron at Pocklington, has the bomb symbol for its 2...jpg

Micawber

I am very fond of the much overlooked Halibag.

Halifax Mk III MZ469 (Z5-N) crashed 6-7 January 1945 South of Marche-en-Famenne (Prov Luxembourg, Belgium): 7 KIA buried Hotton War Cemetery, 1 POW.

Halifax Mk III MZ469 (Z5-N) crashed 6-7 January 1945 South of Marche-en-Famenne (Prov Luxembou...jpg