• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Strike Hard Strike Sure" - RAF Bomber Command

Micawber

11 OTU {Operational Training Unit - note the word 'operational'] Bassingbourn before the USAAF 91st Bomb Group moved in.

Wellington Bass.jpg
Wellington Bass 01.jpg

Wellington Bass 03.jpg

Wellington Bass 02.jpg

Greg Gale

I think you posted this in the wrong thread Greg, although Bomber Command would have made spectacularly short work of the Nazi war machine if they'd had F-14s :D

Oh no! Sorry, the wrong link must have gotten stuck on the clipboard. I edited my post now.

Greg Gale

I’d love to read that one and also his ‘Mosquito victory’ but none of these are available in audiobook format or kindle :(

Lord Flashheart

I've always been mildly curious how the RAF arrived at the idea of putting a large number of newly qualified aircrew in a large hall and let them get on with it to crew up for themselves. Very simple and yet quite a clever idea too. I don't know how the USAAF did it - anyone?

Smithy

I've always been mildly curious how the RAF arrived at the idea of putting a large number of newly qualified aircrew in a large hall and let them get on with it to crew up for themselves. Very simple and yet quite a clever idea too. I don't know how the USAAF did it - anyone?

I'm not sure Flash but I agree the RAF way was very clever, albeit I imagine a shock to the system to begin with.

MikeyB-17

I bought Jack's "Lancaster Target" just recently which is meant to be a terrific read.

Thanks Greg for that link!
Had it for years, read it several times, IMHO the best bomber command memoir. It was Jack Currie and Phillip Kaplan’s ‘Round the clock’ that got me started on this whole daft business in the first place. His ‘Echoes in the air’ about aviation ghosts is a great read too.

Smithy

Had it for years, read it several times, IMHO the best bomber command memoir. It was Jack Currie and Phillip Kaplan’s ‘Round the clock’ that got me started on this whole daft business in the first place. His ‘Echoes in the air’ about aviation ghosts is a great read too.

I was going to read "Bomber Boys" first but just started "Lancaster Target" and so far it's excellent. The writing style is tremendously engaging. From his documentary work and this memoir it does appear he was a natural, effective communicator. Loving it!