• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stretching shoes/boots

Smithy

I thought I'd post this here as I used this method and was hugely impressed and pleased with the results.

I bought a pair of boat shoes last summer online and they turned out to be a half size too small. I tried several times to wear the damn things but it was nothing short of torture.

Fast forward to today and I thought after having a bit of a Google about this whether there was something I could do, I came upon this method.

1) Make a mixture of half rubbing alcohol and half water, put it in a spray bottle and liberally spray the insides of the shoes.

2) Wear the shoes with two pairs of thick socks for at least 3 to 4 hours. If the shoes are still too tight, repeat.

I'm absolutely stunned by what this has done. It has increased the size at least one half size. Obviously this won't work if your shoes are too short in length but otherwise it's well worth giving a go.

I was literally going to chuck these out but after doing this they are the perfect size.

asiamiles

Tips like this always welcome. I'm guessing you could use a shoe tree covered with 2 pairs of socks instead of wearing them; I've done this for a few days (without the spray) and it definitely had some effect.

Now how about some ideas for shoes that are too big?

Southoftheborder

Inserts help but only if the shoe is too wide not if it's too long. I've cut out inserts from an old sheepskin coat and put them in wider shoes and it worked well. The sheepskin cushions the sole too.

kirova

leather shoes/boots are always a tough one, quite literally.

when I first got my Red Wings Beckman, they also felt like half a size too small, and for the first 2 or 3 weeks, I couldn't wear them for more then 30 mins and I need a few days rest between wear, as I felt like chopping my own feet off just to stop the pain :)

(and I was secretly cursing the sales person who had convinced me to go for a tighter fit!)

but now, a year later, they are the most comfortable boots ever.

asiamiles

leather shoes/boots are always a tough one, quite literally.

when I first got my Red Wings Beckman, they also felt like half a size too small, and for the first 2 or 3 weeks, I couldn't wear them for more then 30 mins and I need a few days rest between wear, as I felt like chopping my own feet off just to stop the pain :)

(and I was secretly cursing the sales person who had convinced me to go for a tighter fit!)

but now, a year later, they are the most comfortable boots ever.
I bought some Grenson bowling shoes when I was over in the UK about 5 years ago. I tried two pairs on and chose the bigger pair as they felt more comfortable and roomy with the smalller pair only just fitting. It was only when I got back to HK that I discovered the sales person had given me the wrong pair! However, using the method I mentioned above I stretched them, and on the odd occasion I've worn them they felt fine. Phew!