• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stop the planet I want to get off

johnwayne

You're right John, Gary was like moi, a compositor or to our US friends a typographic designer. A hangover, pre-digital, from letterpress printing whereby you would assemble the typematter before printing.
I latterly went into sales working with graphic designers producing some top quality books and long before Gary’s A2 manual I had the idea to produce a limited run leather bound ‘flight jacket’ book - even bouncing it of JC albeit not seriously, at one point!! A pipedream you might say when I had neither the money, time or knowledge to back it!!!

Dany McDonald

Extremes that are inflated well beyond the intrinsic value

Well said and increasingly mutually inclusive in the so-called niche markets. As an enthusiast of top tier flight jackets and vintage inspired rags, I know (now) I will always stand on the side lines looking inside as the disconnected (price range) is ever growing. Not ranting at all as I've witness this in other field of collecting and consumerism and also the art world.

Woops...!

D

Micawber

You're right John, Gary was like moi, a compositor or to our US friends a typographic designer. A hangover, pre-digital, from letterpress printing whereby you would assemble the typematter before printing.
I latterly went into sales working with graphic designers producing some top quality books and long before Gary’s A2 manual I had the idea to produce a limited run leather bound ‘flight jacket’ book - even bouncing it of JC albeit not seriously, at one point!! A pipedream you might say when I had neither the money, time or knowledge to back it!!!

My Father In Law was a compositor for many a year, I believe from when he was demobbed from the RAF to the time he retrained to use the incoming computer systems in the early 1980's. Unfortunately I never met him as he passed away rather suddenly but peacefully at home some years before his daughter bumped into one another. From what she says we are very similar in many of our views, I get the feeling we would have got on well.

busdrivermike

That’s over 4 thousand Canadian, I’m just gonna say it, anyone who pays that
Kinda a money for a jacket has sh*t for brains , plain and simple they would
Be the epitome of a fool and their money

Thomas Koehle

Didn't know the forum is filled with beggars which not even are able (or don't want) to spend 2.700 GBP for a jacket ...

Maybe wrong forum ... - gotta go ...

i own a Eastman B3 which i love, i handled a G1 and a M422 which i was not really convinced about, never handled one of their A2.

I wonder whether there are that many Russian oligarchs (how the f... is this been written????), that many Texan oil-farmers, that many Dutch diamond-dealers, that many Chinese "my profession is SON", that many Australian "Opal Aussies" to keep business with jackets like that running ...

Meanwhile there is so many real talented artists around being able for a nice "one of" backpiece there is no need to buy a painted jacket off the shelf for such a price

colekwok

You'll be surprised by how many jackets that they are selling in Taiwan and China. All I can say is that some people do have cash to burn...

But honestly, they are now in the realm of some Japanese makers, while their non-military collection is going against the like of Himel and the fashion brands. Maybe they are doing the right thing for their business? Oh, they are also selling a lot of non-leather garments and even shoes, literally cloning RM's business model, not sure how sustainable though.

ausreenactor

I know it’s not what you’re focusing on right now, Couchy, but the damage to that book is easily repaired. I had the exact same thing happen with my Eastman A-2 guide, and I paid a local book binder about 40 USD to repair it. Haven’t had a problem since.

I don't read these books! They just look great on the shelf! (Army Warrant Officers can't read)

Micawber

Aye, there is plenty of cash floating about in certain regions and in reality ELC are not being unprincipled in attempting to cater for and perhaps help groom the market in those places. When all is said and done they are in business to make a profit, the easier and bigger the profits the better for the company, its employees, investors and any future investments. Gone are the days when the company catered just for a relatively small number of A2 officianados or people looking for something to strut about in at airshows or reunions. Like it or not there are far more lucrative markets to tap into now and it would be poor business practice not to take advantage of the growing tastes of those other places.

We all have opinions on 'value' and set our limits accordingly. Some are fortunate enough to be able to enter a Rolls Royce dealership and order yet another car to join others they already own while others have to sweat double shifts down a mine to be able to afford to put a roof over the heads and food on the table for their families. Others never get the chance to do that and spend their short lives trying to find food from bins.

This is a first world topic - about a leather jacket with a bit of paint on its back.

But this has all been said before and doubtless will all be said again. Round and round we go...

Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel
As the images unwind
Like the circles that you find
In the windmills of your mind.

Etcetera, etcetera..

mulceber

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned, Steve, you nailed it. Gary's within his rights to charge whatever he wants. Are his jackets worth that? As far as I'm concerned, no. As a result, I only buy Eastman if what he's offering can't be had elsewhere. If other people are willing to pay those prices, it's no business of ours. We can trumpet the makers who offer better bang for your buck, and I think we do that quite well here, but there's no point in harping on what is essentially the Gucci of mid-century Americana.

Last edited:

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

I know it’s not what you’re focusing on right now, Couchy, but the damage to that book is easily repaired. I had the exact same thing happen with my Eastman A-2 guide, and I paid a local book binder about 40 USD to repair it. Haven’t had a problem since.
I had the same problem with my book right when I opened it for the first time. I took it to South America and it was repaired for 1.5 $us. That was a steal!