• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stop the planet I want to get off

Pilot

Eastman is out of reach..
Not ranting … Fully agree! “Out of reach” for 99% of the members here … maybe…
BTW, ELC was predicted “soon” bankrupt already 5-8 years ago, due to their “ here offending price increases “.
As already discussed in multiple other threads… ELC does not aim to sell here…ELC and many others have big business in Asia, Russia and the Gulf….Wonder why their adds are still in english and not in japanese , madarin or russian only :)
Believe it or not… they sell! a lot!
One ELC representative said: “ the envy of the depossessed “ when we discussed another post alike during a recent militaria show.
“ As long as those facts are not understood nor digested… posts like this will pop up … “which is fine and probably legit…
For references; Please compare with the Real McCoy’s jackets ( new and decorated ) pricings … ELC is just within these marks… for a same clientele… but far inferior when authenticity is discussed ( ELC marked studs, incorrect patterns and hardware , ridiculous cracky shearling fleeces etc…).
Just my 1 ct experience dealing with Asia and the Gulf States.
Again no ranting nor harming intention.

Last edited:

Chris 55

Really to be honest it doesn't float my boat.
Definitely wasn't one of the Disney guy's to paint that.

Kermit3D

I also find that ELC products are globally too expensive compared to the quality offered (high level but some details are not authentic).

However, they are very strong in marketing:
- The website is well done, rather beautiful and the products presented are very well highlighted. Pictures of jackets (and others) are great, it really makes you want to buy them.
It gives an image of seriousness and very high quality.
- The paper catalog is really beautiful.
- The book "Type A-2 Identification Manual" reinforces their image of expert.

Imho no other jacket manufacturer comes close to ELC when it comes to marketing/visual communication.

Chandler

I think Gary used to be a printer
I worked in graphics and printing for over 30 years. Most printers I knew had no grasp of marketing and design. ;)

That said, and IIRC, John Chapman used to work in graphic design -- his site is well laid out, if not a little dated, but maybe he's too busy actually being hands-on? :)

mulceber

That said, and IIRC, John Chapman used to work in graphic design -- his site is well laid out, if not a little dated, but maybe he's too busy actually being hands-on? :)

I think it was coding, but you’re right: he designed the website himself and has all kinds of neat plans for a new site, but just doesn’t have the time to implement it.

Chandler

I think it was coding, but you’re right: he designed the website himself and has all kinds of neat plans for a new site, but just doesn’t have the time to implement it.
Sure, but you still have to have a design behind the code, whether from a graphic designer or a coder with a good sense of design.

Plus, with many of the different programs these days, it helps designers work in a recognized format while the code is being built behind the curtain... mostly.

It'll be fun to see what JC has up his sleeve.

Smithy

I also find that ELC products are globally too expensive compared to the quality offered (high level but some details are not authentic).

As Brice says there's people who buy ELC stuff and I agree that we're not his target market now.

I personally think they're hugely overpriced for what they are and what you get. I just don't see why anyone would splash that kind of money down when you can get a made to measure GW. Sure there's a wait but you'll end up getting a better, more accurate reproduction and made to measure for you.

I know which I'd rather have and that's why I'm in the GW queue.

Kermit3D

It'll be fun to see what JC has up his sleeve.

John Chapman sent me a link to the layout of his site during our last discussions... but since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share it here, well, you won't know more about it. :D

... well I'll try to make my message a little bit constructive. I can say that it is above all an evolution that will highlight ALL its jackets, not only A-2s.

mulceber

John Chapman sent me a link to the layout of his site during our last discussions... but since I'm not sure if I'm allowed to share it here, well, you won't know more about it. :D

... well I'll try to make my message a little bit constructive. I can say that it is above all an evolution that will highlight ALL its jackets, not only A-2s.

Yeah, he showed me a couple versions himself: one seemed like a more comprehensive version of his current site. The other was a more minimalist “jacket on white background” design that would have been more of a pain to implement, but seemed his preferred design.

I personally think they're hugely overpriced for what they are and what you get. I just don't see why anyone would splash that kind of money down when you can get a made to measure GW.

Agreed. I think BK has surpassed them on most A-2 contracts as well. But yeah, if you’re going to spend over a thousand quid on a jacket, I think there’s very few reasons not to go Good Wear.

Grant

- The website is well done, rather beautiful and the products presented are very well highlighted. Pictures of jackets (and others) are great, it really makes you want to buy them.

Imho no other jacket manufacturer comes close to ELC when it comes to marketing/visual communication.
[/QUOTE]

You forgot to mention Eastman's customer service and communication. Gary and Rob do an outstanding job in that department - something others could learn from.
BTW, I recently picked up his M-41 jacket - by far the best reproduction I've seen and hard to tell apart from my originals, IMHO of course!

ausreenactor

You forgot to mention Eastman's customer service and communication. Gary and Rob do an outstanding job in that department - something others could learn from.
BTW, I recently picked up his M-41 jacket - by far the best reproduction I've seen and hard to tell apart from my originals, IMHO of course!
[/QUOTE]

The point exactly Grant...

The pricing debate could be applied to cars or watches. Both have extremes that are inflated well beyond the intrinsic value.

Micawber

The point exactly Grant...

The pricing debate could be applied to cars or watches. Both have extremes that are inflated well beyond the intrinsic value.
[/QUOTE]

Spot on Couchy. Some elements of Western and Eastern societies are more than willing to pay such prices as it is believed it garners a certain kudos, a certain superiority over those who cannot or who are not willing to spend such amounts. To many spending such sums of money is but a trifle, a nothing and of course there are plenty of producers, services and suppliers willing to milk it and in doing so relish and take advantage of some of the reflected glory.

Pilot

Very good to have big spenders… Big paying ( for useless and glamorous luxury means also big taxes and VAT etc…) The big buyers support our economies and social systems much more than the other way around.

Most of the domestic markets are down the gutter especially since C-19… “Dear “ exports towards those who pay a lot for more or less useless “crap”, keep the “social” western democracies and world aloft and alive…
( unfortunately…, apparently we really need to deal with those …).
Not ranting… sadly facts!

Members online

Latest posts