• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stitched , cloth patches

fleet16b

Hey Guys
My aviation business logo that was designed in 1928 is a set of cloth stitched wings with the company name etc
I want to get a small run of them made but most modern shops dont really have the background to recreate them properly
It there anyone her on the website that re-creates wings in that would be able to capture the vintage look ? Any recommendations ?

Thanks

unclegrumpy

It would help if you posted your design. There are several people that can make nice versions in leather, but embroidery gets tougher. Most current patch manufacturers use computer guided machines that do not produce anything close to the same look as things had in the 1920's.

Another thing, is the Canadians had there own style of doing things. I am not exactly sure when the embroidery style I am thinking of first started, but it was at least in the 1930's. Two examples from one company are below, the second showing the manufacturing label. I picked both because they had wings on them...if you search on the internet you will see they did all sorts of squadron patch designs, all in a combination of layered felt and chain stitching....see the link below.

20 years or so ago, I used to go to some of the Shows in BC, and a fellow back then was having this style patch made for current RCAF units. He was having them done by a local company that was making jacket patches for the youth hockey teams. Many of the hockey team patches were very close to the old style, except the colors and feel of the felt was off. He figured a way around that.

Anyway, I don't know how much sports team embroidery has changed in Canada in the last 20 years, but I bet there is someplace that still does it the old way. I think this style would be right for the era you are going for. One last thing, RCAF patches from this era...like the top one...are rather large...in the neighborhood of 5"...or slightly larger.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Crest_Craft_Patches

RCAF_WWII_patch_for_the_Photography_Section.jpg

RCAF_double_wing_generic_patch_with_Crest_Craft_back-stamp_circa_1936-40.jpg

Last edited:

fleet16b

Here is our original decal from 1928 that provides a sharper image and details that are no captured in the cloth photo . We want everything but the word member

image.jpeg

Here is our original cloth crest from 1928
This is what I want to recreate

image.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 299
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    660.1 KB · Views: 282
  • image.jpeg