• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sticky?

MikeyB-17

Almost every day we seem to get new members turning up with questions about their jackets which they want answering. Inevitably they pile in without introducing themselves, in some cases getting positively shirty when folk don’t want to help them without them posting a bio. Could we not do with a ‘sticky’ pointing new members in the right direction? ‘New members please read before posting ‘ or similar? If nothing else it might save somebody having to post a ‘Why not introduce yourself?’ type post every time, and perhaps we might have less ‘and you are?’ posts, which to my mind are downright unfriendly. There have been a few comments about a less than welcoming reception for new members of late, perhaps a sticky to inform people how we do things might go some way to resolving this. Other forums I’m a member of do this quite successfully. Apologies if this has been discussed before, but I thought it merited another look.

Skip

Great idea

I’ve noticed this too. I must admit since I first joined 6 years ago the “attitude” of this forum has changed, Maybe it’s a reflection of the times we live in or people have lost some manners over that time, whether they be new members or not.

For what it’s worth when I first joined I hadn’t a clue about most of the stuff discussed here and I wasn’t treated like an idiot, but coached along you might say In a good natured way.

Has the world just gone mad all of a sudden and become rude?

Smithy

Has the world just gone mad all of a sudden and become rude?

Sadly you're probably right to a certain degree there Matt.

Being obnoxious to someone on the other end of a keyboard seems to be very easy now. Maybe because of that it's easier now for people to be ruder in general.

TBH round these sorts of discussion boards where we have the same general interest, I've never understood the vehemence that some members can seem to develop for other members. At the end of the day and in the grand scheme of things it's a pretty banal interest to begin with, just a piece of clothing and not of any world shattering importance. You'd think people would just enjoy the fact that others are interested in the same stupid thing as themselves and be glad of that.

In terms of newbies, everybody has to start somewhere and maybe everyone of us should once again be happy that some silly sod has pricked his ears up about the small silly hobby/interest that we have.

D97x7

Wouldn't it be better attached to the application to sign up form, if there is one I can't remember, or a link that when pressing join after said form completion takes you straight to the introduction thread, just a thought?

Otter

Everyone has to start somewhere. I have to agree that the recent crop of "How amazing is my mall jacket" and "How much is this jacket I just bought in a charity shop worth" members can be pretty annoying. A sticky would maybe help but a certain type of person will just ignore it anyway.

B-Man2

Most of us here are willling to help anyone who wants it, after all this hobby is what we enjoy doing, but what frosts most of us is when the person asking for help doesn’t have the courtesy to respond to you or even offer a “thanks” back.
I’m with Otter regarding the occasional “How much is my jacket worth” guy who only shows up when he wants a valuation on a jacket and then you don’t hear from him until the “next find”.
That gets old after a while.

Otter

Doesn't need to be noobies, one member here who continuously wanted identifications on militaria he bought at boot sales so he could clog it on greedbay.