• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

steerhide revelations impact on viability of high end repros

Marv

Re: steerhide revelations impact on viability of high end re

according to Gary's book, Roughwear's 27752 contract was made from horsehide so at least my ELC RW 27752 in horse and my on-order GW RW 27752 in horse are authentic.....no Cow/Steer there. :)

Phantomfixer

I kinda feel vindicated to an extent...20 years ago a chap, at an airshow in Frederick MD, told me my goat A-2 (Cable) could not be an original as they did not use goat for A-2 contracts.....
Now to find out Cow was also used...a point arguement I lost on one of the forums years ago...

dmar836

As far as cow being a cheaper alternative, we all know that it is the knowledge of the craftsman and the quality of the work involved that makes a garment "high end". The difference in cost of hides, while significant, would not likely cause an A-2 to be marketed for many hundreds less than it's HH counterpart.
The care and soul it takes to provide a great A-2 is difficult to develop and difficult to discount.

High end jackets are not "high priced", they are "high cost".

To get back on topic, I like the idea of some more cow out there.
We need more cowbell!

JMO,
Dave