• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Sportswear A-2 size 44

Roughwear

I bought this Star Sportswear A-2 in 2008 and here are some recent pictures, Star Sportswear had one contract with the USAAF for 30,000 jacket on 18th May 1942 and jackets were either labelled W535 AC28557 or order number 42-18245-P. Star A-2s rarely turn up for sale, but in the near mint condition of the one below, almost never. The jacket is 100% complete and even has its paper pocket tag with the number 484 on the reverse side. The knits are perfect as is the lining

Silver Surfer

from the pics [some are lighter, some darker] it looks like one of the lighter colored stars, which are less common then the darker, more seal like colored stars. i will dig my lighter colored out for a comparison. gotta say, though, this example is damn near flawless. wowza

Roughwear

Thanks Vic. Yes it is a russet shad as opposed to the more common darker seal. It has no issues whatsoever and has not been attacked by moths.

Lorenzo_l

Yet another gorgeous original Andrew, and in mint condition. Is it horsehide? Looking at the pictures, it kind of looks like steer hide, but what do I know!
Was Star Sportswear was more into manufacturing M-442A/G-1s?

Cheers,

L.

Silver Surfer

indeed, star [star glove co.] made g-1s during and after wwll. monarch did as well....and some others, but to a lesser extant. oddly enough w&g had a bunch of m series and g series navy contracts, but contrary to some opinions, they never had an a-2 contract.

Roughwear

Yet another gorgeous original Andrew, and in mint condition. Is it horsehide? Looking at the pictures, it kind of looks like steer hide, but what do I know!
Was Star Sportswear was more into manufacturing M-442A/G-1s?

Cheers,

L.

Thank you. DNA testing commissioned by Gary Eastman found that his one was cowhide and I suspect this is cowhide too.

Roughwear

The first naval contract awarded to Star Sportswear was in 1950 for 55J14 jackets (G.1s).They were awarded a second contract in 1951 and 10 in the 1960s and early 1970s.

Roughwear

It is the best preserved example I have seen in 20 years of collecting A-2s. I doubt if a better example exists. This one was worn lightly in the War and stored in a foot locker for years.

johnwayne

Blooming nice A2 that Andrew, but the most if not all of yours are! Must say the lightness of the russet surprised me as going by say ELC's repros, are far as I know/seen they are all seal and dark seal at that? If as you say Star had just the one contract, while I appreciate there would have been slight variance, re-dye's aside, surely wouldn't they have all been one shade ie all russet or seal and not a mix of both? Going by your jacket would that not mean ELC's are technically the wrong colour?

stanier

Beautiful jacket, you must be very pleased Andrew.

If I could find an original like this in my size, I’m sure I would buy it.

Roughwear

Thanks Wayne. You see lighter brown and the more common darker seal hides used by this contractor. I guess for the Materiel Division to procure all russet hides for 30,000 jackets from several tanneries at the same time as many other contracts were out for A-2s would have been tough. So Star was supplied with a range of shades of seal for their A-2s. As long as they met the spec no one would have minded in Wartime conditions! BTW. I used to own a darker Star but sold it when I acquired this beauty.

Ole

Banned
It is the best preserved example I have seen in 20 years of collecting A-2s. I doubt if a better example exists. This one was worn lightly in the War and stored in a foot locker for years.

How much for it?

Roughwear

Thanks Dave. It is only worn for the at a Duxford air show every few years as I try to rotate wearing my original A-2s. Most of the time I wear repros.