• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Sportswear A-2 - found at the Goodwill outlet bins

jeremiah

haha jay, yeah, I guess you are an expert then .. haha.. can't Even tell from photos how good and supple this leather still is. maybe you should do some review.

I don't mean any disrespect Jay but just because I wasn't on this forum since Able Lincoln was a lad, does not mean I don't know anything. From the pics shown here today if anything is clear as a bell about this jacket its that the leather is in no way shape or form dried out or even needing conditioner applied.

Last edited:

Skyhawk

Great find for sure Centaurus3200!!

Looks like it will be a great wearing jacket for the limited use you are planning on, after a little knit work and possibly a light conditioning of the dry areas you were discussing. By the looks of it, it won't take much work to get it in order. Love to hear about amazing finds like this! How about some pictures of you wearing it when you get it fixed up. I would love to see it.

All The Best,
Jay

Pilot

Terrific find ! congrats...
Are the United Carr studs brass or grey gun metal?
WW2 Originals were only brass.
Here another possibility...straight out of the BK catalogue...
BK uses gun metal United Carr pocket snaps. See also size tag width...
Again great find, congrats!
213561CC-CB26-4359-BEDD-D92F0733FBE2.jpeg

Last edited:

Julius

Conditioning a already dried out jacket is pointless in my opinion. If you know anything about leather you will understand that once a leather gets to the brittle stage any conditioner added will only temporarily restore some flex.

I agree, if the leather of jacket is decaying conditioning it will not stop that and it might be even easier to get torn at the points of tension.

I have restored original A-2's that were stiff as a board, back to a supple wearable condition. Not at all bad for the longevity of the jacket either. So I disagree that it is pointless to condition a dry jacket.

I agree that if you find a jacket looking like this
authentic-wwii-a2-bomber-jacket_1_ec898fb181c92b7f28a7ea0274f44e0e.jpg

the best thing to do is to condition it.

But no my friend, that Star A-2 that Centaurus have found, that you don't touch.

Hey Centaurus, it doesn't make sense to wear it if it's too big for you. Better sell it and with the money find one in your size, or exchange it with one in your size with someone who may have one at a similar condition.

Julius

Also the jacket is 100% original.

The give aways are among others the color and the finish of the leather, the color of the thread,
the finish of the snaps, the finish of the collar hooks, the weaving of the knits, the color of the lining the spec label and especially the size label.

Centaurus3200

Thanks all. So basically, bickmore bick 4 won't hurt the leather. Might even be good for it... BUT the risk is to darkening what seems to be a light russet color. And that would be very bad... Correct?

If the jacket was the darker seal color, this wouldn't be as much of a debate?

I'll take a quick pic of me wearing it. I'll get some measurements. It looked pretty good with me wearing it. This is not a modern 42. More like a 39-40.

Not tight military spec, but not 90s baggy either. I'll play "dress up" for you guys later tonight. Haha!

Rock it with a Dickies 1922 chambray shirt, Taylor Stitch democratic white oak selvedge jeans and a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots.

I usually go for "child of the depression" as far as "look". The jacket should work in that category.

B-Man2

Thanks all. So basically, bickmore bick 4 won't hurt the leather. Might even be good for it... BUT the risk is to darkening what seems to be a light russet color. And that would be very bad... Correct?

I'll take a quick pic of me wearing it. I'll get some measurements. It looked pretty good with me wearing it. This is not a modern 42. More like a 39-40.

Not tight military spec, but not 90s baggy either. I'll play "dress up" for you guys later tonight. Haha!

Rock it with a Dickies 1922 chambray shirt, Taylor Stitch democratic white oak selvedge jeans and a pair of Wolverine 1000 mile boots.

I usually go for "child of the depression" as far as "look". The jacket should work in that category.
Good sense of humor there!
We like that ... stick around for a while;)

Micawber

Look, with all due respect my advice is to just s l o w d o w n for a bit, hold your horses and take stock so to speak. As far as I'm personally concerned the jury is still out as to the age of that jacket but that is by the bye. Whatever the source the piece is certainy worth careful consideration as to what to apply to it to achieve the desired effect and avoid staining or undue darkening of the finish.

My strong advice to you is to use the search facility on this forum and spend a bit of time reading up on the options and potential effects. Further, I would STRONGLY advise testing your eventual choice of conditioner in a place where it cannot be seen - say a small patch under a pocket flap for instance. Then leave the area for a day or to before observing the results.

The above applies whether the jacket is a modern repro or 70+ year old original that has somehow survived without signs of storage be it flat or hanging. Take your time, treat it with care ...and that includes avoiding catwalk photo ops right from the start ...and you won't regret it in the long run.

I hope these comments will be taken in the spirit in which they were written ;)

Centaurus3200

very true. as i said, it's just chillin' in my closet on a big ass hanger. i have a cotton garment bag somewhere. i assume that's not a bad idea?

Look, with all due respect my advice is to just s l o w d o w n for a bit, hold your horses and take stock so to speak. As far as I'm personally concerned the jury is still out as to the age of that jacket but that is by the bye. Whatever the source the piece is certainy worth careful consideration as to what to apply to it to achieve the desired effect and avoid staining or undue darkening of the finish.

My strong advice to you is to use the search facility on this forum and spend a bit of time reading up on the options and potential effects. Further, I would STRONGLY advise testing your eventual choice of conditioner in a place where it cannot be seen - say a small patch under a pocket flap for instance. Then leave the area for a day or to before observing the results.

The above applies whether the jacket is a modern repro or 70+ year old original that has somehow survived without signs of storage be it flat or hanging. Take your time, treat it with care ...and that includes avoiding catwalk photo ops right from the start ...and you won't regret it in the long run.

I hope these comments will be taken in the spirit in which they were written ;)

B-Man2

Centaurus
You’ve picked up some great info and advise here and it’s yours to pick and choose from. Several of the opinions differ a bit, but one thing they all have in common is the preservation of your jacket. For my 2 cents worth I agree with Micawber. Sit back and take a breath and figure out what you have there and once you’ve done that then you can make an informed decision on the next step. . If the jacket is in fact an original, well hell its been around for 75 or 80 years pretty much the way you found it. Another week or two just the way it sits isn’t going to damage it or hurt it any further. We might be able to help you figure out exactly what you have with some detailed photos of the jacket. Key word here is “detailed”. Things like zipper and completed stitching patterns of zipper placement. Snaps all sound , interior lining and stitching patterns on lining.Collar and rear collar seams. Pocket flaps and epaulet attachment, placement and stitching patterns, you get the idea. Include a couple of the complete jacket front, back and inside as well. I know you’ve posted some of these already but the truth is in the details.
Once again great find.! You’ve come to the right place. This is what we live for!!
( Well not really .. but I was on a roll there for a second and it just sort of seemed like a proper ending;))

Centaurus3200

i'll snap more photos of the jacket tonight. gotta gauge myself as my wife is already jealous of it. LOL!

Centaurus
You’ve picked up some great info and advise here and it’s yours to pick and choose from. Several of the opinions differ a bit, but one thing they all have in common is the preservation of your jacket. For my 2 cents worth I agree with Micawber. Sit back and take a breath and figure out what you have there and once you’ve done that then you can make an informed decision on the next step. . If the jacket is in fact an original, well hell its been around for 75 or 80 years pretty much the way you found it. Another week or two just the way it sits isn’t going to damage it or hurt it any further. We might be able to help you figure out exactly what you have with some detailed photos of the jacket. Key word here is “detailed”. Things like zipper and completed stitching patterns of zipper placement. Snaps all sound , interior lining and stitching patterns on lining.Collar and rear collar seams. Pocket flaps and epaulet attachment, placement and stitching patterns, you get the idea. Include a couple of the complete jacket front, back and inside as well. I know you’ve posted some of these already but the truth is in the details.
Once again great find.! You’ve come to the right place. This is what we live for!!
( Well not really .. but I was on a roll there for a second and it just sort of seemed like a proper ending;))

Centaurus3200

slow at work. haha...

found this link to another Star A-2 intriguing...

Centaurus3200

okay, last one then i'll shut up. another example. i like the guy that posted "probably issued to a guy who 'flew a desk'". LOL!

B-Man2

okay, last one then i'll shut up. another example. i like the guy that posted "probably issued to a guy who 'flew a desk'". LOL!

Hi
I own that jacket now. I posted pictures of it a little way back in this thread.:)

Edward

very true. as i said, it's just chillin' in my closet on a big ass hanger. i have a cotton garment bag somewhere. i assume that's not a bad idea?
I wouldn't leave it on a hanger for too long. weight of the leather on vintage threads could cause issues. it won't be a problem very short term but no wire hanger of course... a wood coat hanger is better, but not hanging it might be prudent. if any of the stitching around the collar and shoulders is starting to dry out you will find out soon enough if you leave it on a hanger. I'm still slap silly you found not only a vintage A-2 but one that is practically NOS. o_O