• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Sportswear A-2 - found at the Goodwill outlet bins

Centaurus3200

Hi all

First post here.

Digging through the bins today, I came upon this jacket. I know just enough to get me in trouble... I'm definitely no expert.

Did i just have a hell of a day... Or is this something else?

Leather is stiff. Pretty dry. Possibly horse hide? Again, I'm no authority on this stuff.

Thanks in advance for information!
20190616_183731.jpg
20190616_183534.jpg
20190616_183407.jpg
20190616_183330.jpg
20190616_183315.jpg
20190616_183229.jpg
20190616_183200.jpg
20190616_183142.jpg
20190616_183048.jpg

Centaurus3200

Thank you so much! Don't know how it showed up. I was digging through the bins (I find it relaxing, cheaper than therapy. Lol!) and it was crumpled up at the bottom.

I was like "okay, didn't see that one coming"

Gonna keep it for now. it's a 42, I'm a 36. More of a 38 with A2. But it doesn't look ridiculous.

So, how do you care for this jacket? Can I use Bick 4 or don't do anything to it? It's super dry.

My golden bear and Johnson leathers love bick 4, but I don't wanna screw this thing up!

You had a hell of a day. Well done!

Skyhawk

I would recommend conditioning it with Renapur leather conditioner. It is available on Amazon. A simple google search away. It is a deep conditioning paste that you put on and let it sit for a few days. Then wipe off with lint free cloths. Renapur is all natural with a beeswax base and is the best I have found. it will not harm the leather.

Centaurus3200

I'll definitely buy the renapur, but can I try a round of bick 4? Or don't let that stuff near it?

The hide is pretty stiff. Maybe that's the way it is, but seems like it needs conditioning before even thinking of wearing it.

I would recommend conditioning it with Renapur leather conditioner. It is available on Amazon. A simple google search away. It is a deep conditioning paste that you put on and let it sit for a few days. Then wipe off with lint free cloths. Renapur is all natural with a beeswax base and is the best I have found. it will not harm the leather.

Skyhawk

Great find by the way! What city and price did you get the jacket?
I Once found a 1940's M422a at a thrift shop for $60.

Regards,
Jay

Skyhawk

I'll definitely buy the renapur, but can I try a round of bick 4? Or don't let that stuff near it?

The hide is pretty stiff. Maybe that's the way it is, but seems like it needs conditioning before even thinking of wearing it.
I have not tried Bick 4 but I can tell you that Renapur is the best I have found for deep conditioning. It is about the same effectiveness level as Pecard Conditioner but less residue and no petroleum products in it.

Centaurus3200

Thanks. I'll hold off until I buy the renapur!

I have not tried Bick 4 but I can tell you that Renapur is the best I have found for deep conditioning. It is about the same effectiveness level as Pecard Conditioner but less residue and no petroleum products in it.

jeremiah

I too have used Vaseline with good results.
John Chapman uses it on vintage leather. If you do some research there is a difference between the petroleum by product in vasoline’s production and that of the petroleum that is in what you put in your vehicle.
Nice find.

I too recently found something I was always on the look out for and also very rare. An un built up kit of an ASTER live steam gauge 1 locomotive
The PRR K4s Pacific

Attachments

• 7AC8D81F-347E-4566-BBB4-00727BCA790F.jpeg
    7AC8D81F-347E-4566-BBB4-00727BCA790F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 272
Last edited:

Skyhawk

Yep Vaseline would work but not better than Renapur which is actually designed for leather and has no petrol products at all and none the residue that Vaseline can leave behind. I have used Pecard which also has a Vaseline base. The results are near the same except no goopy residue afterwards.

Juanito

What a score. I have been schlepping Goodwill and thrift shops since 1982 in the hopes of finding an original A-2 and have had zero luck, although like mentioned above I have found an M422a, a couple of nice early G-1s, and one Pro-Tech A-2 repro. What I will say is the the local Goodwill has an inordinate amount of NOS Vietnam era uniforms, boots and gear.

B-Man2

Guys
I have to ask ... are we being scammed by a late April Fools joke here ??
It’s an amazing Star A2 that’s 75 years old without so much as a wear spot or a wrinkle in the lining, or any wear for that matter. Posted by a new guy we don’t know . How long would that last in a Good Will store just based on its condition let alone its history. If he truly just came upon this, then the jacket Gods smiled on him. But this just sounds to good to be true. At any rate Centaurus, welcome to the forum, and if this is for real your are my hero. If it’s a joke then the laughs on us and your still my hero! ;)

Centaurus3200

believe me man, thought the same thing when i saw it sitting crumpled up at the bottom of the bin. said bin is in the san francisco bay area. i won't get more specific, on an open forum... mainly because there are probably guys here who don't want their same haunts to be publicized. BUT, you can message me privately and i'd be more than happy to tell the location.

for those that don't know... goodwill outlet stores are just huge storefronts with big blue rolling bins. clothing is priced at this particular one at $1.49/lb. shoes are $3 and boots are $5.

this is a once in a lifetime occurrence. i'm not holding my breath for a repeat.

with that said, who knows... maybe it's a fake? probably not though (not that i'm an expert or anything)

i feel bad for the jacket and was happy to save it from an uncertain future. lasted all this time, probably with the original owner, only to have a kid or grandkid toss it in the donation pile. i mean research is pretty easy to come by this day and age.

Guys
I have to ask ... are we being scammed by a late April Fools joke here ??
It’s an amazing Star A2 that’s 75 years old without so much as a wear spot or a wrinkle in the lining, or any wear for that matter. Posted by a new guy we don’t know . How long would that last in a Good Will store just based on its condition let alone its history. If he truly just came upon this, then the jacket Gods smiled on him. But this just sounds to good to be true. At any rate Centaurus, welcome to the forum, and if this is for real your are my hero. If it’s a joke then the laughs on us and your still my hero! ;)

Julius

Centaurus,
you are very lucky to have found a jacket of which the leather seems to be in excellent condition.
I would not say it is stiff, I 'd say you are probably used to lambskin jackets. Horsehide is more stiff by nature. Don't jump to conclusions that it is stiff. Compare your leather with those from makers such as GW and ELC and you see that yours is less stiff than theirs.

I am totally against using renapur or vaseline on this gem. It is clear from the photos that it doesn't need any of that. Don't forget that vaseline has been accused for corroding the cotton threads.

I would also like to add that we witness in the OP the original seal color of the original Star A-2 jackets and that the dark seal pushed by some vendors (and almost established) is only a myth.

For comparison here's Eastman's dark seal
582D6B75-B7EA-47A0-940A-AFF5FD336DBB_zpsi36fhxvj.jpg

You can easily see that the color has nothing to do with that of the original.