• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Star Sportswear A-2 - found at the Goodwill outlet bins

Centaurus3200

wow, i'm learning a lot here.

it's on a hangar similar to one of these below

so, how should i store it? i can't leave it laying flat somewhere. plus, i have a cat who will quickly make it his favorite spot to lay on. LOL!
71slph4Z3HL._SX425_.jpg

Centaurus3200

i mean, i can slide it laying flat under our sectional couch?

OR i do have a cotton garmanet bag. then slide it under our bed.

really, no coat hangers?

Edward

the weight of the jacket puts undo stress at the seams. especially the shoulders. Also the arm sleeves are pulled by gravity. its the stitching we want to preserve and 75 year old thread can't take it for long. ya, because of the rarity of condition you want to store it flat. hangers are a leather coat's nemesis. it can also misshapen (stretch) the leather in areas that won't be flattering

Silver Surfer

coat hangers=a-2 killers....for all the reasons stated above, not to mention pushing a bulge up at the shoulders, and eventually weakening the shoulder area under the epaulets.,,,,sometimes to the point of blowing holes in the leather. lay it flat with the collar up and the arms laid across the lower front body, with the arm seams going side to side. that is, dont follow the crease in the arms made from storage.

Silver Surfer

ummmmmmm.......forget the plastic bag, also. leather, especially old leather needs to breathe. think of it this way, ya wanna commit suicide, ya put a plastic bag over your head. no beethee, get it? same with your a-2.

MikeyB-17

I came close to commenting yesterday that the waist knit on Centaurus’ jacket seemed very wide. It’s interesting that the second Star that Centaurus has posted the link to also has a wide waist knit. I’m not enough of an A-2 expert to know, is that a known Star trait?

Centaurus3200

wow, that was a bit of an endeavor to find an all cotton garment bag. even the dude at Schott just stared at me blankly. like no one in the history of the earth asked for a cloth bag to store their leather jacket? their site says to cut a hole in the top of a pillow case for storage? WTF? yeah, how manly. LOL!

anyway, got a natural cotton one for free from the fur shop at Neiman Marcus. i gotta believe if it's good enough for a $50,000 fur coat, it's gotta be okay for this jacket.

B-Man2

wow, that was a bit of an endeavor to find an all cotton garment bag. even the dude at Schott just stared at me blankly. like no one in the history of the earth asked for a cloth bag to store their leather jacket? their site says to cut a hole in the top of a pillow case for storage? WTF? yeah, how manly. LOL!

anyway, got a natural cotton one for free from the fur shop at Neiman Marcus. i gotta believe if it's good enough for a $50,000 fur coat, it's gotta be okay for this jacket.
Check Amazon
They have breathable moth proof storage bags. They work fine.

Centaurus3200

I'll definitely get some. I just wanted to get something today because y'all were freaking me out. Lol!

This bag has the Loro Piana logo on it. Raw cotton. Fancy!

The beast is now snoozing in its sleeping bag under my bed. Crisis averted :)

I also managed to get sick, so more photos and catwalk pics will have to wait.

Check Amazon
They have breathable moth proof storage bags. They work fine.

Last edited:

Centaurus3200

Okay, one more post on the subject, then I'll shut up.

I tried joining the below site, but something is wonky and I couldn't reply to the thread on leather conditioning.

Most collectors are of the mindset of do nothing. I have it in a natural cotton suit bag under my bed. No hanger, just laying flat.

So, can I still wear the thing a few times a year? No hard labor. Going to the uss hornet. Stuff like that (where a real war veteran will tell me to take it off immediately. Haha)

B-Man2

Okay, one more post on the subject, then I'll shut up.

I tried joining the below site, but something is wonky and I couldn't reply to the thread on leather conditioning.

Most collectors are of the mindset of do nothing. I have it in a natural cotton suit bag under my bed. No hanger, just laying flat.

So, can I still wear the thing a few times a year? No hard labor. Going to the uss hornet. Stuff like that (where a real war veteran will tell me to take it off immediately. Haha)

You’ve gotten feedback by some of the most knowledgeable people owning , maintaining and restoring vintage leather jackets in the world. (Ok I had to throw the world part in for dramatic effect;)) But we are an International Forum and you did get some outstanding feedback sooooo.... the ball is in your court. ( actually the jacket is in your closet would have been a better metaphor) so what’s your plan Grass Hoppa??

Centaurus3200

It sounds like leave it laying flat in the cotton bag under my bed. Don't put any "magic elixir" on it.

I'd still like to wear it, say, 5-7 times a year?

Reading the site below... Seems to go against convention here. To be clear, I obviously trust you guys on this forum. Logic dictates LCS is a business. If they said "it is what it is", that's not a good business model.

And yes, if I decide to sell, y'all get first dibs

You’ve gotten feedback by some of the most knowledgeable people owning , maintaining and restoring vintage leather jackets in the world. (Ok I had to throw the world part in for dramatic effect;)) But we are an International Forum and you did get some outstanding feedback sooooo.... the ball is in your court. ( actually the jacket is in your closet would have been a better metaphor) so what’s your plan Grass Hoppa??

B-Man2

It sounds like leave it laying flat in the cotton bag under my bed. Don't put any "magic elixir" on it.

I'd still like to wear it, say, 5-7 times a year?

Reading the site below... Seems to go against convention here. To be clear, I obviously trust you guys on this forum. Logic dictates LCS is a business. If they said "it is what it is", that's not a good business model.

And yes, if I decide to sell, y'all get first dibs

5 to 7 times a year ... no problem . Should hold up well. In the meantime grab another A2 off of eBay for about $150. and make it your daily wearer . Then sit back and let the A2 addiction take place. Don’t fight it, just let it flow.... :oops: and welcome to the club;)
( later on when you have 5 or 6 of these things you’ll qualify for the 12 step detox program we have here o_O)

Micawber

Centaurus old chap, grab yourself a pot of coffee, or an alternative liquid refreshment of your choice, a comfy chair and means to access this forum.

Sit.

Relax.

Take a break from this posting frenzy.

Read all the advice in this thread again.

Use the search facility to discover some of the other excellent advice regarding the care of leather garments and A-2s in particular.

Also use it to discover information regarding the Star contract, the characteristics of their A-2s and learn a bit about the company itself.

Digest all that information and advice. Now you will be in a better position to make judgements on how to nurture and care for your new baby without trying to reinvent the wheel in the process.:)