• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Star" CHP Info wanted

flattop

Hello all!
I posted this on the FL site and after over 130 views I got nada. This may be a more appropriate forum anyway.

I was hoping someone here might have a little knowledge in regards to the history of "Block Bilt". More specifically the CHP horsehide motorcycle jackets they produced in the 40's - 50's under the "Star" brand name.
All I have been able to find out is from the book "Motorcycle Jackets: A Century of Leather Design" by Rin Tanaka. There I found that "Block Bilt" was primarily a premier saddle manufacturer but were regarded as one of the oldest and finest leather jacket manufacturers in Los Angeles during that time. It also states they disappeared around 1960 and has a positive footnote from Clif "The Dusty Bandit" Majhor stating that they made the best MC jackets in LA prior to WWII.
I now own one and it is one fine jacket. Rare or obscure I'm not sure but the "Google" search is coming up empty.

Thanks,
AJ

Not really sure exactly what kind of info you are seeking...
I can offer this tho:
Perhaps the most expert vintage dealer in the world told me that Star Glove (who made those great police jackets) and Block Bilt were NOT the same company and Rin Tanaka's assertion otherwise is incorrect. Another dealer confirmed this.
I've owned two of the Star Glove police jackets and they were superb. Incredibly dense horsehide.
Also owned about 10 Block Bilt labeled jackets, also superb, particularly their goatskin models. Crazy details employed regularly. Pretty sure Block Bilt made the "Topline" leather jackets for Sears Roebucks circa late 30's/mid 40's.
Hope that helps some.

flattop

Thank you for the replies! This is exactly what I was looking for. I was unable to find any link between Star Glove and Bock Bilt myself and was beginning to believe exactly that. I do now own a Star Glove CHP jacket and I could not agree with you more. Wearing it almost gives me a bullet proof feeling and I could not be more pleased with it.
I was told that SG was a major provider of these jackets to west coast law enforcement agencies in the 40's and 50's but not much else. As well they don't seem as common as I would have expected. I have decided that this jacket is a keeper and I guess collecting as much information about it as I could seemed appropriate.

Thanks again!
AJ

flattop

I figured as long as I had the props and camera out for the Schott JD-1 I would click off a few of my 1950 Star Glove horsehide CHP. I can not say enough about this jacket. The quality and the density of the hide is amazing. I got lucky when I found this one in my size.
l_cfcf1f9c5afb0d7a476461f6e147d76c.jpg

l_df8e190414ade04e28c22655ba779b4f.jpg

l_d1d03f50c2c9b572d9e1bbd180608dff.jpg

l_a7388f905def81572846f7c8739735d8.jpg

l_561b0e083008a843919e36ba38ad5b64.jpg

l_887fd92fe094af0e029ff62f7bdd2827.jpg

Chevalier

Flattop, do you still have the pics of your Star jacket? Ironically, your profile pic is the pic on the Cal Leather jackets website history section. They are located in Ventura, CA. According to their website, they are the current company that made jackets under what used to be the Star label. I just picked up a jacket by Star when I was up in Sacramento recently.
7BAE3C8E-71C1-4F99-8913-B75434232E8E.jpeg
5AF5821A-7D0E-47FB-A726-84FD730DF251.jpeg

Chevalier

Thanks for the compliments on the jacket and the info on flattop. I was hoping for more pics of Star jackets. I have seen quite a few Cal Leathers, but Stars seem to be older and harder to track down. I am debating between taking the jacket to Johnson Leathers here in SF or sending it down to Cal Leathers in Ventura. It is hard to get in touch with Cal Leathers via email, but I haven’t tried by phone yet.

Chevalier

I thought I should post an update on my Star Glove jacket. With all the time on my hands these days, I figured out how to mimic the machine stitch by hand to fix the pocket stitching. Luckily, the lower thread from the previous stitching was still intact. I could loop around it with every hand stitch through the existing holes in the leather.
EDA9CB86-ACB2-497A-890D-FD1A9C344CDA.jpeg

I realized I would not have trusted a machine repair not to leave a visible second row of stitching.
4C0114C8-DD5D-4FAA-B96C-8A9323533B41.jpeg

A52C6693-4CAF-4FF3-A80C-AE3B4FEB872C.jpeg

I really liked how it turned out. I also managed to sew up most of the lining tears. This is also a nice photo of the tag. I have not seen many photos of the Star Glove tags online. Mine mentions both LA and Ventura locations. I am not sure if it helps date the jacket.
5CBAEF3B-8365-488A-BC77-AB59EDCF236D.jpeg

There is one spot that needs patched that I will get fixed when things open back up again.
2D3E5126-A02E-4173-A95D-008D348700F9.jpeg