• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

STAR A2

Roughwear

Here are pics of an original Star A2. It is a size 42 and is not the very dark brown of most Stars I have seen. It is a chocolate colour, very similar to my United Sheep Lined A2. The leather is in great condition and is starting to soften after one coat of Hamanol.
My question is how rare is this particular contract? I understand it was smaller than most.

The jacket belonged to Louis M Frey, who enlisted as a private in 1942 in WILKES BARRE PENNSYLVANIA.He was aged 32 and was a clerk in his civilian life. I guess he held the rank of sergent. Any more info on him would be appreciated.

Here are the pics.

016-1.jpg

002-3.jpg

007-1.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-1.jpg

005-1.jpg

011.jpg

015.jpg

022-1.jpg

024-1.jpg

Jason

I think you'd be right there Andrew, in my years of trawling ebay etc, I can only remember one Star ever coming up (the same Star actually appeared twice in a few months, guess it didn't fit the first buyer) and I don't see them often on other websites either. In the rarity stakes, I'd say the Star fits in between the Werber / Cooper Sportswear A-2 tier, and the Bronco / Monarch / USL / Spiewak tier.

Roughwear

Jason you are right about the rarity of Star A2. There were of course two contracts, the ac28557 and this one, 42-18245-P. John Chapman only features two from the first contract on his CD. Since taking these photos back in the summer I have replaced the cuffs with matching ones from Gary Eastman as they were too far gone!

Roughwear

shanghai joe said:
perhaps laignmanoit/clive would like to contribute??

and others too. This thread was started on the old forum, but as the Star is a rare bird it seemed a good idea to post the pics again.

shanghai joe

Roughwear said:
shanghai joe said:
perhaps laignmanoit/clive would like to contribute??

and others too. This thread was started on the old forum, but as the Star is a rare bird it seemed a good idea to post the pics again.

:?

deja vu ??????????.........ou............rerun.......... ;)

HDRnR

Nice, my Grandfather was born in Wilkes Barre, he was in the Navy in WWII though. A lot of coal miners up around that way back then.