• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stand and deliver!

MikeyB-17

Here we go again. After two recent jacket purchases have been returned for being too small, once more I make the attempt. Having retired, I felt I owed it to myself to get something really decent, preferably new, theoretically the jacket to end all jacket buying (but we know that ain’t going to happen). The AN-J-3 project having proved to be a failure, I turned my attention to something I’ve coveted for many years-Aero front quarter horsehide. Way back before I had ever heard of Eastman et al, a mate of mine who works for a local printer did some work for Aero, and the staff were offered a jacket at a discount. He got a Veste de rallye in FQHH, a lovely thing which he still owns but seldom wears (it’s not often cold enough), but I always admired it. After much head scratching, I decided another Highwayman was the way to go-I had one years ago in buffalo, and a nice copy I got from Peter Graham is a favourite. There wasn’t much on the sale page, and ordering a full price example was probably a bit more than the budget (or the wife) could tolerate. I spent several weeks poring over Ebay, came close to pulling the trigger a couple of times, only stopping because what I was contemplating wasn’t quite what I wanted (an otherwise very nice steerhide Barnstormer came and went during this period-just didn’t do it for me). It was FQHH or nothing. Several in steerhide, but that wasn’t going to do it. Only one HH example appeared on EBay UK, quite nice, but a bit steep and with a bit of wear/patina (bloody shed loads in Japan or the US!). I tried a cheeky offer, the bloke counter-offered with a price twenty quid cheaper than the BIN, and I walked away, but last night I was close to going back and doing the deed. It just didn’t quite excite me enough to part with that sort of coin. For some reason I had another glance at the Aero sale page, and this had appeared. Measurements appeared to be OK (they seem to run big, and I have repeatedly checked with the tape measure), and if I was ordering one from scratch, this combination of leather, lining and hardware is exactly what I would have gone for. Some stray stitch holes in the shoulder are the only fault, which I can either live with or see if I can sort something-I have a couple of ideas. It seemed to be a sign, too good an opportunity to miss. I always prefer to regret doing something, rather than something I haven’t done, so I was up front with the wife, telling her exactly what I was doing and why (no ordering and hoping she’d be out when it arrived this time!)-and the deed was done. So wish me luck-I don’t think I can stand having another disappointment after all the anticipation!

Thomas Koehle

Looks like a nice jacket!

I own AERO halfbelt in a reddish CXFQHH (what an abbreviation) and a MAXWELL in black in the same material

the material is stunning and the craftmanship of AERO is remarkable - hope the jacket fits and look forward to fitpics

i'm personally still tempted to get a highwayman as well but the sizing seems kinda odd to me

Grant

Hope you love it and fits great!
You're right,the 25.5" pit to pit measurement is huge a sz 42. Is that normally how Aero cuts their jackets?

MikeyB-17

I did wonder Grant. Surely a 50+ inch chest isn't a 42? I decided to ring them and check, the lady I spoke to said the Highwayman is quite a boxy fit and that's probably the reason. She offered to cancel the order, but I said send it, and if this doesn't fit (after a bit of screaming!) I think I'll bite the bullet and pay full price, and provide measurements so Aero can sort me properly. I'll get there!

Thomas Koehle

i ordered one of their "Teamsters" in size 44 but dimension where more like a size 48/50

the dimensions vs sizetag differ depending on the respective style and cut of their jackets

for my halfbelt the 44 is a 100% fit. i already tried on one of their "Highwayman"s and also found the cut is rather roomy

B-Man2

After all of your “close but not quite” attempts, If anyone deserves to find a winner, it’s you Mikey . I certainly hope this one does it for you . Hoping that this time you score a keeper .

MikeyB-17

Cheers Burt. TBH it’s a win-win situation now-if this one fits, so much the better and I will save a few quid. If it doesn’t, I’ll be getting one that does, so life ain’t all bad. :D

MikeyB-17

Well Boys, we got there in the end. Arrived today, and it's swallow a banana sideways time. It's absolutely bang on. Quite what mysteries of fit make a 50+inch chest fit a bloke with a 44 inch chest I know not, but I'm not complaining. I have a bit of room for layers, and there's still some capacity for expansion in the waist adjusters should I need it, which I hopefully won't if I carry on the way I'm going. It's bloody stunning, and it's a long time since I've been this chuffed with a jacket (it's also a long time since I've bought a new one!)
The leather is fabulous stuff, and yes, it stands up on its own quite easily. It's going to take some serious hammering to break in. The stray stitch holes on the shoulder which put it on the sale page and saved me sixty quid are so hard to see I need my glasses to find them. I also love the nickel hardware. And the smell! Gorgeous. It's been reasonably cool and damp in Cornwall today, so I actually got to wear it outdoors-now I'm wearing it round the house! Really glad I didn’t compromise and get something nearly but not quite from Ebay. All those returned jackets were worth it in the end!
DSC_2418.JPG
DSC_2417.JPG

Smithy

Awesome Mikey!

I've got an Aero Barnstormer in brown FQHH and love it. It's a leather that as you know develops beautiful patina so get wearing it.

Great jacket and the perfect fit, you must be as pleased as a dog with two dongers!

London Cabbie

Well Boys, we got there in the end. Arrived today, and it's swallow a banana sideways time. It's absolutely bang on. Quite what mysteries of fit make a 50+inch chest fit a bloke with a 44 inch chest I know not, but I'm not complaining. I have a bit of room for layers, and there's still some capacity for expansion in the waist adjusters should I need it, which I hopefully won't if I carry on the way I'm going. It's bloody stunning, and it's a long time since I've been this chuffed with a jacket (it's also a long time since I've bought a new one!)
The leather is fabulous stuff, and yes, it stands up on its own quite easily. It's going to take some serious hammering to break in. The stray stitch holes on the shoulder which put it on the sale page and saved me sixty quid are so hard to see I need my glasses to find them. I also love the nickel hardware. And the smell! Gorgeous. It's been reasonably cool and damp in Cornwall today, so I actually got to wear it outdoors-now I'm wearing it round the house! Really glad I didn’t compromise and get something nearly but not quite from Ebay. All those returned jackets were worth it in the end! View attachment 64957View attachment 64958
Lovely, lovely good for you. Love the standyuppy of it. Enjoy it round the house. Looks sensational…