• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stamp on fabric inside G1

Erwin

Hi folks,

Like usual a quick question regarding G1 jackets. Does anyone know what is this stamp? I assume it can be a manufacturer or contract acceptance stamp. I haven't seen this before on any G1.

Thanks for your help regarding the identification of it.

stamp.jpg

warguy

I have seen that before, a long time ago though. I have an excellent memory…..it is just very short,ha! If I remember correctly, I think this is a Union label or stamp of some sort. You see cloth Union labels sewn inside the pockets of some A2’s, (I have a Fried Ostermann with one). I think these stamps replaced that in later years, but the stamp is a different design than the cloth ones. I am happy to be corrected though.

Deacon211

I don’t know for certain, but I’ve seen that flat winged eagle before.

I’d almost say that he’s either holding arrows in his talons or an anchor. Maybe Dept of Navy, War official stamp?

warguy

So the term Deapertment of defense spurred a memory from my gun collecting days. The DoD stamped an eagle with three stars above it on the stocks of M1 Garands that had been inspected and accepted. Can’t upload a
Photo of one at the
Moment but if you Google did stamp on Garand stock you will see one. Looks a lot like this stamp on your jacket. I think this was happening late WWII and post war.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi folks,

Like usual a quick question regarding G1 jackets. Does anyone know what is this stamp? I assume it can be a manufacturer or contract acceptance stamp. I haven't seen this before on any G1.

Thanks for your help regarding the identification of it.

View attachment 99181
They are not that uncommon. I have some examples with that stamp or a different one. It is probably some kind of production acceptance thing. Normally you don't see them because people don't take pics inside the map pocket all the time, but they are there in many cases.

Last edited:

Erwin

Hi Jorgen,

Thanks a lot, I was assuming that these were acceptance stampings, but asking more experienced collectors here is always the right thing. If I can ask you one thing. Have you found these markings on jackets used by USN or USMC? Also on what contract jackets [from what years]? This one from my picture was from the Korean war era flight jacket. Thanks for your help!

Erwin

Hi Warguy and ShanghaiJack,

This is very interesting, just started to read about these markings for M1 [Defense Department]. For M1 these markings started to appear in October 1953. I'll look for more information online. Thank You!

Deacon211

That’s what it was. I knew the flat winged eagle looked familiar.

7185A97A-08B3-47BD-8EEF-3D6A05BA8164.png

The thing that threw me was I missed that it was post WW2 so DoD was a thing.

Jorgeenriqueaguilera

Hi Jorgen,

Thanks a lot, I was assuming that these were acceptance stampings, but asking more experienced collectors here is always the right thing. If I can ask you one thing. Have you found these markings on jackets used by USN or USMC? Also on what contract jackets [from what years]? This one from my picture was from the Korean war era flight jacket. Thanks for your help!

You got me there Erwin. Honestly, I don't remember which contract nor year the jackets are. I will check some of my jackets sooner than later and will keep you updated. I have over 70 G-1's and my memory fails with those specific details but certainly I have seen that stamp in some examples... :D

JonnyCrow

You got me there Erwin. Honestly, I don't remember which contract nor year the jackets are. I will check some of my jackets sooner than later and will keep you updated. I have over 70 G-1's and my memory fails with those specific details but certainly I have seen that stamp in some examples... :D
Wow 70 G1 Jorge, you have a separate building for the collection?