• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SQUADRON PATCHES ADVICE NEEDED

A

Anonymous

Hi does any one know where I can buy a 48 star flag printed on cotton with the large white border as seen sewn inside vintage A-2 CBI jackets ,Im looking for a repro .Also looking for a reference book of USAAF squadron patches with details of size color and theatre made samples pictures .I am making patches the multi layer leather type and info on this is hard to find .I have both the flight jacket books but they only cover a small proportion of the actual patches that were used in theatre .The Brill jeep guy most of his patches are RKO studio and these are poor copies on canvas and are to small in detail , any help appreciated .Regards Jeff

PS thank to the guys who replied to my original request in the book index topic .

CBI

Try cbi-history.com a great website with photos of many patches (for this theater of ops.) No great "one resource" out there. I tend to do web searches of specific units and can often come up with good photos of real patches. The "Battle Colors" books are good as well but they only cover the 8th and 9th AF (Amazon.com). "Disney Dons Dogtags" is an excellent book of Disney insignia (try Amazon.com). The Toons At War website recently mentioned on VLJ has some neat stuff on it. "Silver Wings Pinks and Greens" has some nice photos and has a larger version of the patches listed in the old AAF manual (in color). There is also a large website something like airforcepatches or USAFpatches that are patch collector sites. Mostly modern stuff but some WWII as well. Flying Tiger Antiques (????) usually has some for sale items that make great references, etc., etc. Lots of computer time to find what we need!!!! Good Luck

CBI

Oh, in regards the flag - never seen a repro of what you are looking for. Real ones rarely show up on eBay. Either Split-S Aviation or aircorps colors (both on eBay) sell a leather version of a 48-star that is that size for about $50. Might be your only option.