• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Squadron patch do you know how it is ?

A

Anonymous

HI MADE THIS PATCH TO SUIT A VERY RARE LABELLED EASTMAN AERO BEACON .DO YOU KNOW WHICH ONE IT IS ? .THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE I POST DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST IN THE SUBJECT .MY NEXT POSTING WILL BE SHOULD REAL A-2 JACKETS BE MADE OF LAMBSKIN AND HAVE MAP LININGS. PROBABLY GET ABOUT FOUR ZILLION REPLIES ON THIS SUBJECT .INCIDENTLY WHY WAS THE CRAZYCHEVELLE MAN NOT ASKED TO DO SOME WORK FOR THE REDTAILS HIS WORK IS EXCELLENT ( GOOD WORK ON THE JACKET MY FRIEND AND THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR WORK )SOME OTHERS DONT ! .THANKS ALL TO WHO DID CHIP IN HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR PATCHES I MAILED TO YOU .

102.jpg

ALL THE VERY BEST JEFF

TankBuster

I can't remember the squadron off the top of my head, but I know that they
flew the P-39 in the Aluetian Island campaign.

Dr H

Hi Jeff

Fine looking patch, it's probably my favourite...

I was wracking my brain to recall the details (I had seen it relatively recently on Ebay), but couldn't trace it. Fortunately, the ever resourceful Neh came to my aid and identified the auction (220338064881) for a named Rough Wear 18091 Contract. The patch is apparently an unofficial depiction for the 57th FS/54th FG.

According to the vendor, the same squadron was featured in "Report from the Aleutians" and in the middle of the film the pilots are sitting around a table dressed in jackets bearing the same patch. The listing also shows images of an Aircobra (I think) with the same insignia.

Hope this puts your mind at rest - thanks Neh, I can now sleep soundly!
Cheers
Ian

Andrew

DUBOWA2 said:
HI MADE THIS PATCH TO SUIT A VERY RARE LABELLED EASTMAN AERO BEACON .DO YOU KNOW WHICH ONE IT IS ? .THIS WILL BE THE LAST ONE I POST DUE TO LACK OF INTEREST IN THE SUBJECT .MY NEXT POSTING WILL BE SHOULD REAL A-2 JACKETS BE MADE OF LAMBSKIN AND HAVE MAP LININGS. PROBABLY GET ABOUT FOUR ZILLION REPLIES ON THIS SUBJECT .INCIDENTLY WHY WAS THE CRAZYCHEVELLE MAN NOT ASKED TO DO SOME WORK FOR THE REDTAILS HIS WORK IS EXCELLENT ( GOOD WORK ON THE JACKET MY FRIEND AND THANKS FOR SHARING YOUR WORK )SOME OTHERS DONT ! .THANKS ALL TO WHO DID CHIP IN HOPE YOU ENJOY YOUR PATCHES I MAILED TO YOU .

ALL THE VERY BEST JEFF

Haha, thanks Jeff i'm looking forward to receiving my patch- should be here any day now. Maybe you should put them up for $50 each :D . Perhaps people think there's a catch. The multi-leather may not be 100% correct for all theatres but they look great, are well made and you're enjoying yourself. Keep it up, i'll stay tuned for updates.

Weasel_Loader

That patch would be from the 49th. Not sure if they were a fighter or bomber squadron during WW2. I do know they were the 49th Aero Squadron before WW2. They are now a Test & Evaluation Squadron at Barksdale AFB, La doing weapons system evaluation/testing on the B-52. My old squadron (31st TES) worked hand and hand with them.

TankBuster

I do know that they were a fighter squadron. They flew the P-39 Aircobra.
I also thought it was the 57th, but the 49th may well be correct. The
squadrons that were based in the Alleutians don't seem to have much info
available on them via the net.

zoomer

No action = nobody gives a damn. Shame really; all who served deserve recognition.

DUBOWA2 said:
MY NEXT POSTING WILL BE SHOULD REAL A-2 JACKETS BE MADE OF LAMBSKIN AND HAVE MAP LININGS.
As long as it's got:
-knit cuffs and waistband,
-patch-flap pockets,
-full epaulets,
-fold-over collar,
-no pleats or belts,
it's an A-2. It just wouldn't be a repro or milspec A-2, which I think is what you mean by REAL.

I disagree with the school of thought that handwarmers, oversize gangsta-fit, multipiece back, or inauthentic materials make a jacket a Non-A-2. It's a style. Like a bush jacket. A bush jacket in maroon velveteen lined in lime green sateen, with a skinny hipster fit and iPod pocket on the sleeve, is still a bush jacket.

A

Anonymous

zoomer said:
No action = nobody gives a damn. Shame really; all who served deserve recognition.

DUBOWA2 said:
MY NEXT POSTING WILL BE SHOULD REAL A-2 JACKETS BE MADE OF LAMBSKIN AND HAVE MAP LININGS.
As long as it's got:
-knit cuffs and waistband,
-patch-flap pockets,
-full epaulets,
-fold-over collar,
-no pleats or belts,
it's an A-2. It just wouldn't be a repro or milspec A-2, which I think is what you mean by REAL.

I disagree with the school of thought that handwarmers, oversize gangsta-fit, multipiece back, or inauthentic materials make a jacket a Non-A-2. It's a style. Like a bush jacket. A bush jacket in maroon velveteen lined in lime green sateen, with a skinny hipster fit and iPod pocket on the sleeve, is still a bush jacket.

Thanks zoomer but I was only kidding about .I do not want to start another pointless thread !

Rgds jeff