• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Spitfire Model of interest to anyone ???

Persimmon

Hi Guys
I am up in Glasgow for a couple of days continuing the process of clearing out my parents effects who both recently passed away.

One item that may be of interest to someone is a table top Spitfire model.
It belonged to my Dad who got it off his brother.

Not sure how old it is.

My Uncle flew Wellingtons during WW2.
I know its not that old and maybe he bought it as he really wanted to be a Single seater fighter pilot (thats the family story I am told) and to remind him of old times !!

Not sure what it is made of but its heavy ish

It comes in two parts so that the plane can be put on a different angles

The plane is about 7 inches in length
It has not been cleaned up so forgive the odd mark or two on it
I am sure it will clean up well

Is it of interest to anyone on the site ?

I really don't want to give it away to a local charity shop without showing it to any collectors here

I appreciate it may be worthless.
I really have no way of knowing but if its of interest let me know

Please see a few pictures as a guide.

photobb.jpg

photoaa.jpg

photocc.jpg

photodd.jpg

Give me a A1 or A2 jacket anyday - I have some idea about them !!

Andrew

Alan, sorry to hear about your loss. Must be a difficult time you're having.
WRT the Spit, I'm pretty sure it's not WWII era, I had one of those a few years ago, and at the time I used to see them fairly regularly on eBay, but they are solid brass. Mine had a manuf sticker on the underside of the base.

MikeyB-17

I saw one almost identical in a charity shop the other day. They wanted £15 for it, which I didn't have spare at the time otherwise I'd have had it. I don't think it's wartime either, but a nice thing all the same. Sorry for your loss.

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
WRT the Spit, I'm pretty sure it's not WWII era, I had one of those a few years ago, and at the time I used to see them fairly regularly on eBay, but they are solid brass. Mine had a manuf sticker on the underside of the base.

Are you sure they are post war, Andrew? I have a similar Lancaster, part of a small collection of items that Father allegedly made during his down time. I took made to mean he had finished it from a casting ...

Andrew

deeb7 said:
Andrew said:

Are you sure they are post war, Andrew? I have a similar Lancaster, part of a small collection of items that Father allegedly made during his down time. I took made to mean he had finished it from a casting ...
Oh, I coúldn't say for absolute Dave, my feeling was based on the differences from every other piece of WWII era Trenchart that I've had. My main reason for suspicion was the sticker which I think mentioned a Company name but for the life of me I can't find a photo of the one I had. All my real deal examples are also chrome plated brass except one which the chrome's almost completely worn off. These ones have never been chromed but are treated with a clear finish much like modern brass door hardware, and this tends to wear off and then you see the tarnishing in parts. The other thing is that all the ones i've seen are exactly the same, same base (quite different from period types), same propeller (which is also a lot more chunky without the finesse of the actual oldies i've got) so it suggested mass production. As with all things though i've often seen more than one similar looking type- an example is the spit with Roundels. I have two of these exactly the same and the story was that they were Italian made (Wartime) from Aluminium and sold to Aircrew in Italy. Who knows the real story.

I could be off beam but it's the feeling I got from it.

Something a bit similar, I have a p-38 on a stand which is a map of Australia and i've seen plenty of these over the years as well. I'm pretty sure these were also produced in numbers from moulds. The thing about the one I have it's been engraved with the date 1946 so I suppose you could also say it's post war.

Trenchart.jpg

TankBuster

I agree with all of what Andrew said above. I've learned to never say never about some things, but this piece is more than likely made quite a few years after the war. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Some of the most sought after WW2 aircraft ashtrays were made by a post war maker. (The P-51 in the photos below made in the late 40's) They tend to fetch anywhere from $150-$250 depending on condition.

001-25.jpg

003-24.jpg

002-23.jpg

Here's some of mine just for fun!

004-25.jpg

006-24.jpg

005-24.jpg

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
Andrew said:
Oh, I coúldn't say for absolute Dave, my feeling was based on the differences from every other piece of WWII era Trenchart that I've had.

Thanks Andrew, mine is more like your examples, but was never plated, and no stand, or propellors.

It's also a little play worn ... as a cub I would use it as a hammer. :oops: