• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Speaking of Cloth Jackets...

dmar836

Was digging for some ideas to repop and thought I should post this one. The F-2 isn't easy to find. I think I have the wired trousers as well.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

There's that black drone again!
image.jpeg

Dave

falcon_ib

Love it! A very rare one indeed. Post a picture of the trousers if you're able to find them.

Info on the F-2 heated suit for those curious: http://www.303rdbg.com/uniforms-gear3.html
The officer's version was made from wool gabardine and had a standard collar, and the enlisted version from wool serge with a shearling collar (though I doubt anyone cared about who wore which weave in the combat zone).
"Without current, the suit was comfortable down to 32°F (0°C). With current, it was comfortable down to -30°F (-34°C)." Toasty!

Evan

dmar836

I'll look for the trousers tomorrow am. There were three main iterations of electrically heated AAF flight suits. The E-1/F-1 "Blue Bunny", the F-2, and finally the F-3. The one-piece Blue Bunny is easy to spot but in action the wire elements tended to break cutting off heat to areas. It paired with the B-3 jacket when crews were complaining about mobility(mostly from the fleece). The two-piece F-2 was introduced and was the only electrically heated suit that was worn as outer wear. They had a removable lining. The plain collar jacket looks like an ETO jacket in pics. The two-piece nylon F-3 is what is most often thought of as a WWII heated suit and is easiest to find. It was again worn under the later issued B-10/B-15.
Dave

dmar836

Here are the matching F-2 trousers. Fairly standard looking wool trousers but with lining, button flaps for the electric inserts, opening for electrical connection, and ankle straps. Not so standard I guess. They are as heavy and bulky as any shearling trousers.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Dave

B-Man2

Seems like some very rare pieces really mint condition. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Members online

Latest posts