• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something I did last night...

ties70

...when I got a sudden rush of creativity ;)

Not that difficult but a nice design.
I made it for my Dad...Felix and the bomb somehow match to his situation and I can imagine that he would put it on his M-422a.

felix.jpg

All colours a acrylics. It is not yet finished, at least I have to apply a coat of matte finish and correct some spots where the pencil is still visible...maybe some ageing, too.

Ties

deeb7

Gone, but not forgotten.
ties70 said:
I made it for my Dad...Felix and the bomb somehow match to his situation and I can imagine that he would put it on his M-422a.

Nice patch, Ties ... and I'm glad to hear that your Dad will see the humour.

ties70

atkins said:
Cool gift Ties!Did you sew the circles yourself?

Thanks!

No, the circle and the disk were sewn togehther by a local shoemaker last week.
I started painting last night using the blank patch. Next time I will do it the other way round but this time I was not sure if the cobbler would do it right and I didn't want my "artwork" to be screwed up by curvy seams.

I made a CBI shields years ago and that one I had sewn together by myself: That was a pain in the a**! I have no sewing machine so I had to drill all holes with a Dremel mini tool. Took me a couple of hours....

I guess next time I will choose a more detailed design but use paint only, no outside circle.

Ties

atkins

I made a CBI shields years ago and that one I had sewn together by myself: That was a pain in the a**! I have no sewing machine so I had to drill all holes with a Dremel mini tool. Took me a couple of hours...

:D ,dremel drill?
i tried sewing manually 2 small patches from US Authentic , my needle bend, my finger hurt. I think the horses ate kevlar for every meal. I have samples from Eastman which is perfect circle for perfect s.q. patch, someday i'll paint it with Yuma Army Airfield patch( the disney's coyote/fox holding abig big machine gun!)

442RCT

I've never been able to cut a perfect circle, I used a pair of scissors and tried to stay on the line. I've been through the dremel moto tool stitch holes though, I glued the two pieces of leather together to keep them aligned before I started drilling, my stitch holes were never evenly spaced even though I used a tailors stitch wheel to pre-score the patch. I used to consider it due to the exigencies of 'theatre made' acquisitions. :?

Nice job on the patch, I liked the shading you did on Felix. :D

ties70

...and here is my second attempt to paint a squadron patch:

reaper.jpg

The design of this 13th BS "Grim Reapers" patch comes from our member shedonwanna aka David....I think it is extremely cool and was so much fun to paint.

Thanks to David!

The next thing I will do is a 68th Tank Battallion patch (Disney's Toby Tortoise) for my tanker jacket.

Ties

Andrew

Great work Ties, impressive linework, proportion and light and shade happening there. Have you had much artisitc experience?

shedonwanna

ties70 said:
...and here is my second attempt to paint a squadron patch:

reaper.jpg

The design of this 13th BS "Grim Reapers" patch comes from our member shedonwanna aka David....I think it is extremely cool and was so much fun to paint.

Thanks to David!

The next thing I will do is a 68th Tank Battallion patch (Disney's Toby Tortoise) for my tanker jacket.

Ties

Great work! It's fantastic to see all the talent from the members here on VLJ. This is a perfect place to learn and share everything vintage leather. I am here almost daily eventhough I don't post often; however, I am always willing to help.

David (dlmiller)

better duck

Very nice work Ties!
What is it with this forum and its influence on members? At some point or other in time, one gets caught with the patch or jacket-painting virus?
I haven't got the virus myself yet, but that's probably because I have "two left hands with all thumbs" as we say here.
Doesn't mean I can't recognise and appreciate quality work when I see it!

ties70

better duck said:
Very nice work Ties!
What is it with this forum and its influence on members? At some point or other in time, one gets caught with the patch or jacket-painting virus?
I haven't got the virus myself yet, but that's probably because I have "two left hands with all thumbs" as we say here.
Doesn't mean I can't recognise and appreciate quality work when I see it!

I don't think I got caught by the virus especially here...I have been a scale modeller since I was a kid and enjoyed the painting and weathering more than the actual building process.

Painting the patches helps me to relax after a tough day....just focus on something else than work is great.

Ties

ties70

Re: Something I made last night...

Here is the unfinished patch for the tanker jacket.
It is Toby Tortoise, a Walt Disney character, and was used as the insignia for the 68th Tank Battalion.

The original art work comes from Disney's Hank Porter.

Finishing work steps will be an enhancement of the black outlines, some background drawing and, of course, cutting it out.

toby.jpg

Best regards

Ties

Andrew

Re: Something I made last night...

ties70 said:

Nice work Ties, well done Mate. I really enjoyed seeing this progress shot. If you're job doesn't involve some kind of graphic bent i'd be very surprised.