• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something different - JASDF F-4 Phantom patches

kirova

Just got these in the mail, not sure if they are official patches or not, these were made/sold by Hasegawa, a (supposedly) world famous aircraft scale models company from Japan.

Apparently Japan is retiring their last F-4 & RF-4 Phantoms, and these are supposed to be commemorative patches.

What do you guys think?

View attachment DSC_1112.JPG

Rutger

I love the Phantom, and yes Hasegawa is indeed a very well known company.
The farewell of the Japanes Phantoms has received well over two years of abundant exposure with loads and loads of phantastic phideos and photography. The phootage that can be found is breath taking.

The exposure includes an abundance of patches, because they are commercially interesting.
I suppose a clever entrepreneur would be able to strike a deal with some Japanese Phantom unit and have a batch of extra patches made.
If the design (and manufacture) has not initiated by the units themselves they would for me not be original patches.

kirova

Rutger,

if you love the Phantom, youtube has suggested this channel to me:

it's got a few videos of the JSADF Phantom.

kirova

and yeah, I grew up with Bandai/Hasegawa/Tamiya kits, but just not sure if they are niche or mainstream outside of Asia :)

Flightengineer

I love the Phantom, and yes Hasegawa is indeed a very well known company.
The farewell of the Japanes Phantoms has received well over two years of abundant exposure with loads and loads of phantastic phideos and photography. The phootage that can be found is breath taking.

The exposure includes an abundance of patches, because they are commercially interesting.
I suppose a clever entrepreneur would be able to strike a deal with some Japanese Phantom unit and have a batch of extra patches made.
If the design (and manufacture) has not initiated by the units themselves they would for me not be original patches.

Totally agree, the end of the operation of such cool plane like the Phantom couldn't do without anniversary patches.

In addition to F4, I also always liked the 104, look at this box sticker on an airport's car(this was made when the Italian AF farewelled to they Starfighters).

My apologize that this is not about F4.

Rutger

Yeah, I should have gone to the Starfighter farewell. 2004 or 2007 if I recall correctly.

When the Greek and the Turkish will have their farewells I hope they leave with shows that at least equal the German Phantom pharewell of 2013. Unfortunately the Turkish Phantoms and most of the Greec Phantoms lack the classic Phantom smoke trail.

Never heard of Bandai. Tamiya are very well known. Matter of fact, I have a Tamiya 1:32 scale USAF F-4E under the couch, waiting for me to pick up on further assembly. I kind of screwed up with the dihedral of the outer wing panels. Need to cut the seam in a little and reglue them.

kirova

Never heard of Bandai. Tamiya are very well known.

at least in Japan/Asia, Bandai, Hasegawa and Tamiya are the "big 3" models manufacturer, with their own specialties.

Bandai - scifi
Hasegaawa - aircraft
Tamiya - armor

speaking of farewells, 10 years ago, my country (Australia) was retiring their F-111, and I was lucky enough to went to the last air show it took part in :)

Rutger

Yeah, Aussie Aardvarks, they had the guts to dump fuel right behind the after burner.

kirova

Yeah, Aussie Aardvarks, they had the guts to dump fuel right behind the after burner.

anyone knows how to post videos? (short of uploading to youtube and posting the link here?)

I did took a (very bad) video of the F-111 doing fuel dumping at that airshow, but seems like I could only post photos to this thread?