• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something A Little Different .. A Hybrid of Flight Jackets

B-Man2

I used the term hybrid to describe this jacket but a “cacophony” of jackets would serve equally well, for this jacket looks like it’s been put together with sections of flight jackets we’ve come to know so well here on VLJ. The jacket I’m referring to is a new acquisition that has been around for a while but that doesn’t seem to attract much interest here on VLJ. It’s a Government issued US Boarder Patrol
Jacket manufactured by R&R Uniforms Inc. in Nashville, Tennessee. The jacket is made from quality goatskin that has some grainy features. I’ll present the jacket to you in sections and try to connect the dots between various sections of this jacket and previous flight jackets with which we are all familiar. So I’ll try to keep it short and Informative . Hopefully you’ll enjoy the comparisons .

Issued US Government Boarder Patrol Jacket Size Large (48)
F6087C65-5864-4D71-A508-AA5CE7834766.jpeg

This first thing that you’ll notice is that this jacket looks a bit confused. It has A2 style pockets similar to the pockets and pocket flaps on a 1998- 2000 USAF issued A2. However, it has very noticeable hand warmer pockets just behind the cargo pockets . The color of the jacket is a very dark seal color that almost looks a little blackish, but it’s definitely a dark seal. As mentioned earlier here, the goatskin is a quality hide, grainy in some sections and fairly pliable and soft.

Collar
307B1BF2-077E-4968-8C8F-B7EBA6F21823.jpeg
B4F4312F-3236-4100-B7FE-34588181A5C3.jpeg

The collar is very similar to a Perry A2 collar with it’s shorter, rounded collar points . There no collar stand so the collar lies flat on the back of your neck.

Zipper
76FFCD41-1998-4124-B547-F7C1C57443A2.jpeg

The zipper is a YKK heavy duty one similar to a USN G-1 Conmar type and has a paper clip type puller.

Wind Flap
The jacket has a wind flap very similar to a USN G-1 jacket.

8F7B1299-0CBD-4D2A-8833-9BE3DF8ABD4D.jpeg

Knits
Once again the jacket is surprisingly well made and so similar to various USN jackets. The knits are rib rack style like the WWII M-422a and early G-1 style knits. Crazy Right?
701BA875-E547-4D17-BDEF-228B8A095D0A.jpeg
0CB3C5C0-7D61-4AE2-BFB9-8DB4562A5E78.jpeg

Lining
The lining looks like exactly what you’d find in a G-1 jacket .. a chocolate brown acetate type of lining .

Label
C2974980-256E-42A0-8CD3-87D1C50BBAD5.jpeg

Nothing too impressive here.

Gusset’s

1DC47DE1-E283-44C1-973F-BDA5B84CDA70.jpeg

We’re back to taking parts from the 1998-2000 USAF A2 jacket with gussets that increase the wearers range of motion and comfort.

Vented and Half Belted Back
3D092397-03A8-4421-91E4-FB88E662BDCF.jpeg

The jacket once again has taken sections and the appearance of the USN M-422a, the AN-j-3 and the G-1.

Conclusion
The jacket is definitely a hybrid utilizing sections and ideas from several different flight jackets. It’s a quality jacket for not a lot of money, about $100-150. Pre owned.
It would make a great beater jacket that would stand the test of time and wear, and the goatskin would continue to look good .
One down side for me ???
Did I mention there’s a badge holder on the chest ?:rolleyes:

CombatWombat

B-Man2
That's one of the jackets I'm waiting for lol
Mine is from "RF wear" I think.... didn't notice the quality of the knits until I saw yours close up

B-Man2

Good review, Burt. It certainly is an odd duck. Any idea when it was made?
I’m guessing early nineties Jan. I’m not sure wether they are still in the inventory for the Border Patrol, which is now part of ICE ( Immigration & Customs Enforcement)

B-Man2

B-Man2
That's one of the jackets I'm waiting for lol
Mine is from "RF wear" I think.... didn't notice the quality of the knits until I saw yours close up
LOL!
What a coincidence. When yours arrives please post a few photos of it so we can compare jackets . :)

CombatWombat

LOL!
What a coincidence. When yours arrives please post a few photos of it so we can compare jackets . :)
Haha I noticed one in a pawn shop in NC years ago.... unfortunately it was in a very petite size.
Had no idea what it was called until I saw one for sale on fleaBay as a A2 flight jacket....typed in border patrol jacket and found some seller that had a great selection of them and got one in my size