• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Something a Bit Different..... Show Us Your Vintage Civilian Jackets.

Probably the only jacket I really regret selling:

Fidelity Leathers Cafe Racer.

View attachment 52715

View attachment 52716

View attachment 52717

My sincere apologies for the younger and hairless me...

Ties
Hi there Ties. I have this same jacket (found at a local thrift shop in pristine condition) but, I am thinking that it is an older version? Did your jacket have a zip out liner? Mine does but, I can’t find any others like it out there. Any I come across have a fixed, padded liner. It also does not have a Fidelity branded label but, I am 100% sure it is a Fidelity. Any info would be appreciated!!

JonnyCrow

A fave of mine wore this in the cold UK before I ever came to Spain, dates from the 70's sleeves a little long for me though lol never got them altered, leather is like butter, soft
MVIMG_20221031_110739.jpg

Chandler

Okay -- a crossover from another thread that sidled a little off-track. Since Burt started this thread I've wanted to add this old half-belt jacket I salvaged from my grandfather's old barn -- sometime back in the late 70s. At the time I guessed it was his, but since he was a rather big man, I have my doubts since I figure this to be a 42, or so.

It has a brass Talon zip -- with no puller, and a moleskin-like lining (not versed on just what may identify moleskin, but this feels like a flannel material). I'd forgotten the yoke and pleated back -- a rather interesting detail.

As mentioned, the hide is stiff in a lot of areas, and the collar is deteriorating at the fold. But it's sentimental and pretty interesting.

EPzNGWu.jpg

wLAEFaX.jpg

8ojylKK.jpg

Note the paint smudge at the lower bottom of the back. What is it with vintage leather jackets and their paint magnetism? :p

Micawber

Nice! I like your comment about paint magnets, many were and I suppose it was the semi impervious nature and the view that they were work / chore clothes and treated as such especially when they were well past their prime. As Jan says a light feed should do it the world of good.

JonnyCrow

Nice! I like your comment about paint magnets, many were and I suppose it was the semi impervious nature and the view that they were work / chore clothes and treated as such especially when they were well past their prime. As Jan says a light feed should do it the world of good.
Seen a lot of that Steve, and a lot of best up Irvins passed down to sons etc from Dad for motorcycle riding, I once bought a fleet air arm Irvin that had the yellow hood cut off, still had traces of the yellow paint though and yellow number markings on the back

Chandler

I'd definitely treat it with Vaseline.
As Jan says a light feed should do it the world of good.
I've hit it with Pecard's (which is just a fancy-packaged Vaseline, if I understand correctly), but it's still pretty stiff in most spots (blame the barn, Jan! ;)).

Anyone have suggestions?

Also, anyone know where to find a puller for the zip? I'll try to get a closeup if the body, but it's pretty tiny.

And, also... any guestimates on a date for this one? It's funny that there's no tag anywhere. I don't even see stitch outlines.

Micawber

I would let the pseudo Vaseline soak in in the warm for a day or so then gently manipulate and work the leather in the hands. By work I mean bend it gently back and forth looking for signs of cracking, if it doesn't crack keep manipulating it until it softens. If it shows signs of surface cracking or breaking up a second very light coat worked in might help.

Does it fit you?

JonnyCrow

I'm definitely going to give this a try.
Vaseline or petroleum jelly can be amazing on dry leather, it can help the fibres in it heal, although I used Sapo tack cream on the m-445 jacket I used vaseline to heal the bad areas as one part I turned it over and my finger went straight through oof

Juanito

Here's one I have--a late 1960's Excelled "Cafe" jacket. I think this was a $45 thrift store special. It was heavily used as intended, has burn marks in the leather and liner (hot engines and exhausts, and campfires?), and required some repair work to the liner. I can just imagine the stories that were made wearing it and the stories it could tell.

I have never been a fan of Excelled or Schott quality jackets, but there was something about this one. It's a fairly well made jacket aside from the questionable 4 stitches per inch stitching in several areas. It fit perfectly, had character, and is one of the warmest jackets I have since it is quilted lined. I liked it so much, I found a second one on eBay, albeit probably mid-70's manufactured, with a little bit thinner leather, but nearly unworn.

When I ride, it is either this jacket or the old Vanson flat track racing shirt, of which I don't even think they make anymore as a standard item.

Last edited:

B-Man2

I love the old cafe racers. The design is timeless. It looks as good today as it did the day it came out of the factory .
Nice one Juanito!