• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Someone Has "Confused" a Platon Dubow for a BK Dubow

Flightengineer

Yeah, I think the only way you could tell a BK and a Platon jacket apart, unless you are really good at distinguishing between Liberty and Vicenza, is by the pocket tag.

Jan, by the way, how do these two leathers differ?
By the way, it is strange that Platon doesn't sew his own label into left pocket. In reality it is like the original. I must say that the leather on mine is so soft and the jacket is so comfortable that I worked several times in the office in it and did not notice it. It is as comfortable as pajamas

mulceber

Jan, by the way, how do these two leathers differ?
By the way, it is strange that Platon doesn't sew his own label into left pocket. In reality it is like the original. I must say that the leather on mine is so soft and the jacket is so comfortable that I worked several times in the office in it and did not notice it. It is as comfortable as pajamas

Can't really say, as I've never handled a Platon jacket (it's on my to-do list though!). I think the best person to answer that question would be Brett. :)

Brettafett

I posted a few comparison pics a while back.
Subtle differences...
Platon's seal (at least with mine), is a slightly darker shade of seal, very slightly. It also feels slightly heavier, 'beefier' may be better.... but hardly...
BK's have a little less sheen... (they are not matt at all...) and both my BKs have a bit more 'pebbly' grain in places (although all jackets have variations...)

My Platon Dubow is developing beautifully, natural creasing, grain and character.... but its a year older than my BKs, which are also breaking in well (although I have not had much of the scuffing, guys have spoken about), haha so hard to explain.

By appearance and feel, they are subtly different leathers, but clearly both high end horsehide and to my eye at leats, mimic originals very well.

mulceber

The last photo is an invoice from BK for a Dubow 1755.
Maybe he got his Dubows muddled?

Hmm yeah, that doesn’t pass the smell test. Personally, I’d ask for a photo of the pocket tag before giving this guy money. Something’s going on here.

mulceber

I have no evidence this is happening, but it occurs to me that a scam a person *could run* is to buy a Platon jacket, and sell it on eBay as a BK jacket that's brand new and "doesn't fit." Because I'm not sure why someone would order a BK 27798 in a standard size and with all the accurate details, unless he didn't know Platon's company existed. Both companies make great jackets, at equal quality, but with very different price tags.

B-Man2

I’ve never handled either makers jackets but that sounds like a definite possibility. I imagine that the same could be said of Diamond Dave and Good Wear jackets . Those are two makers jackets that I have handled and the differences between the two are minimal to most, but if you know the secret it’s easy to tell them apart . ;)

leper-colony

Screenshot_20210305-144153.png

Brettafett

Odd indeed. Someone made an oops.
Still, great jacket. But surely you would contact the sender.... If they don't want it, and it doesn't fit, then by all means flog it.
Karma.

2BM2K

Buyer cancels jacket, gets a refund.
An A-2 jacket turns up in post in a battered box.
Buyer thinks, my lucky day free jacket.
Decides to keep/flog said jacket.

Seems to be a recurring pattern begining for this year.

MaydayWei

Buyer cancels jacket, gets a refund.
An A-2 jacket turns up in post in a battered box.
Buyer thinks, my lucky day free jacket.
Decides to keep/flog said jacket.

Seems to be a recurring pattern begining for this year.

Sorry, you lost me. What might you be referring to?