• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some repro patches from my collection

Yardstick

The 63rd BS is an interesting one. I’ve seen examples on both a chocolate brown and black felt bases. I went with the former myself because I thought it was more interesting.

Pity no one seems to be making these patches using the original machines anymore. Even if they need to be hand finished, the overall effect is so much better than the modern equivalent. I’m sure there would be a market for it from patch collectors / military jacket enthusiasts willing to pay a premium price for a quality product.

ausreenactor

The 63rd BS is an interesting one. I’ve seen examples on both a chocolate brown and black felt bases. I went with the former myself because I thought it was more interesting.

Pity no one seems to be making these patches using the original machines anymore. Even if they need to be hand finished, the overall effect is so much better than the modern equivalent. I’m sure there would be a market for it from patch collectors / military jacket enthusiasts willing to pay a premium price for a quality product.
There is mate....give us the prices!

Yardstick

I've been focused almost exclusively on CBI multi-piece patches for the last 3 months, so thought I would share a few examples from the 33rd Fighter Group. I've been experimenting with dying suede, as it is used in many of the CBI designs and gives a nice matt contrast effect. A couple of 33rd FG patches incorporate this suede.

First is the 33rd FG patch, a strong heraldic design that works well when translated to multi-layered leather. Next is the 58th Fighter Squadron.

IMG_0140.jpg

The final two patches are from the 59th and 60th Fighter Squadrons. The 33rd was a unit that fought in both the MTO and CBI theatres, so you will come across Italian made versions of these two patches. However, the patches recreated above are the only original examples I've seen of the Group and 58th FS patches.

IMG_0115.jpg

Last edited:

ausreenactor

Did you see the thread the other day? Buyer looking for layered patches..... if you are looking for some sales have a look..

Yardstick

For no particular reason here a few patches I have completed recently that feature text in their designs.

First up is the 2nd Troop Carrier Sq,443rd Troop Carrier Gp - an interesting cartoon character ensemble (as are many of the troop carrier emblems). This was notable for having gold stamped lettering. I tried to impress this into the leather by hand but the horsehide I used (split A-2 offcuts) wouldn't 'wet tool', so I faked an impressed 3D effect effect using a fine black liner. On the right is the 12th CCS, 3rd CCG. The constituent 3rd CCG patches all follow a similar design but their are also alternative versions for each squadron - the alternate example for the 12th CCS featured a flying railroad boxcar (which I also did a few years back). I'm not sure if these pre or post date the version shown.

IMG_0078.jpg

Next is the 88th FS, 80th FG - 'Angels from Hell'. And, finally the 330th TCS, 20th TCG. Again the 20th TCG is another unit where there are alternate versions of the constituent squadron patches - in this case a stylised 'TC' overlaid with the respective squadron numbers.

IMG_0078.jpg

Yardstick

I've always liked the 308th Bomb Group heraldry finding the designs very distinctive, particularly when interpreted in multi-piece leather patches. The 373rd BS is probably one off the toughest to do as layered patch - multiple pieces, a confusing assembly and fiddly to sew. Consequently, I'd put it off for a while. However, I finally reached it on the 'to do list' and this is the result. It's not the most colourful design but I love how it came out. I covet the beautiful Chinese made silk versions but they are way beyond my skills to re-create.

IMG_0165.jpg

Next is the 374th BS. I made a version of this years ago (below) but was never happy with the end result. Finally I got the cotton bud out and some acetone and did a bit of light weathering and think the end result it is now passable (top tip - weathering hides all sorts of errors and general mediocrity). Fun fact: the design is meant to represent a wombat - go figure?

IMG_2211.jpg

Next is a more recent addition to my collection and one I am much happier with. There are loads of variations out there of 374th BS patches and as soon as I saw this beautiful example that Rick Briethaupt posted on the US Military Forum, I knew I wanted to have a crack at it.

IMG_0177.jpg

Next up is the 375th BS - a classic grim reaper design. I love how crude / naively these these were made, with no two the same. This one was copied from one of the Maguire books about 18 years ago and is now in a frame, so apologies for the low res pic as it's all I had available.

IMG_E1834.JPG

Finally we have the 425th BS. This is a departure from the patches of the other squadrons, as it incorporates painted detailing. It features a Chinese dragon riding an aerial bomb, with a custom dyed blue suede background and a combination of smooth and pebbly goatskin.

IMG_0177 (2).jpg

Yardstick

Three loosely related patches tonight, at least in terms of construction in that they use at least 2 layers of felt.

First is the 5th Photo Recon Squadron. Obviously a Disney design and a comparatively rare patch to see in the wild (I only have 2 pictures in my image database).

Img_2127.jpg

Second is the 474th BS, 335th BG. Fun fact - chain stitching particularly when you trying to replicate the swirling technique used with the old Singer machines is vey time consuming! I would estimate it takes 4 to 5 times as long to cover an area with chain stitch as is does using a standard satin stitch.

Image1.jpg

Finally, we have a favourite design of mine, the 464th FS, 507th FG. I'm a big art deco fan and there aren't too many patches in that style (the 327th Ferry Sq is one of the few others that I can think of). I did a painted version of this patch a couple of years ago but recently decided to follow the correct construction: A base of felt, on which a disc of white cotton twill is set, with the back ground chain stitched over it. The blue felt outline of the stylised P-47 / sea hawk is then put in place and the detail added with more chain stitching. Finally, the whole thing is outlined with 2 rows of green chain stitching. It took about 10 evenings to finish (so 25 to 30 hours) but I'm very pleased with the the results. Hope you like it.

IMG_0191.jpg

Last edited:

Yardstick

As modern machine made patches go, that's as good as I've seen and a pretty accurate match to an original. Out of interest, where did you find it?

ausreenactor

As modern machine made patches go, that's as good as I've seen and a pretty accurate match to an original. Out of interest, where did you find it?

A one off via eBay. I nearly climaxed when I found it. To get it for under $20 made even happier. (Happier than a climax!)