• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some patches I made during the weekend.

Yogie

@ausreenactor
That bottom patch is one version of the 319th Air Carrier Squadron / 319th Special Operation Squadron.

Constituted 319th Troop Carrier Squadron (Commando) on 9 Aug 1944. Activated on 1 Sep 1944. Re-designated 319th Troop Carrier Squadron on 29 Sep 1945. Inactivated on 27 Dec 1945.

319th SOS

Last edited:

Yardstick

What is the bottom one?
319th Trop Carrier Squadron, 1st Air Commando Group. You'll probably be more familiar with the 319th Glider Section's emblem (below right).

image 1.jpg

If you are wondering what was the origin of the question mark insignia, then the following is taken from CBI-history.com courtesy of Hugh Crumpler:

"The outfit was designated the 5318 Provisional Air Unit, or prior to that simply Project 9. (You can get some idea of the magnitude of the undertaking when Project 10 was the B-29's and Project 1 was the B-25 bombing of the Japanese mainland). We had hardly arrived in India when the outfit provoked many comments from airdrome officials with the snatch mechanism on the bottom of the plane. Additionally, the rank and file of us did not know exactly what our mission was. Hence the White Circle with a concentric blue-black ring and a blue-black question mark was created. (It saved a lot of answers for damn-fool questions)."
1649171672327.png

Yogie

My Friday patches.
Btw quarantine sucks. I'm still positive. Today in my despair / boredom I made a chocolate cake, diy potato chips in the oven and two patches. Oooh boy ....
I've come to the conclusion that I leave chips-making to the pros at "Lays", Pringles or "Funny Frisch". Hahahaha.... :cool::D

IMG_20220408_191017.jpg
IMG_20220408_191001.jpg

Last edited:

Yogie

@B-Man2
Hi
The first one is from "Air Corps Training Detachment Oxnard California"
The second one is from the 353rd Bombardment Squadron

Last edited: