• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some patches I made during the weekend.

Micawber

I'd be happy to do so. Problems, though. I don't know how to do so, and I don't want to presume that any of my contributions are full-size material.
I have a Mac desk top; anyone who can advise, I'd be grateful.
Second, which of the pix do you want full sized?

I use a Mac too...

Upload in the usual way then when that has completed you should see a thumbnail of your uploaded image. Click 'insert' and then 'full size' and all being well the picture should appear in all it's glory within your post. This precludes your audience from having to click on an attachment then wait for it to open in a separate window :)

John Luder

It's a bleedin' miracle.
If it's a miracle, Colour Sgt, it's a short chamber Boxer Henry point four-five calibre miracle. And a curser, Sir, with some English brains behind it.
Anything else you'd care to see a bit larger?
Cheers
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 3.36.18 PM.jpeg
Screen Shot 2021-04-14 at 3.39.47 PM.jpeg

Yogie

@CAF Docent

First of all it's "Meistermaler". The Malermeister is the guy who paints walls, windows, doors etc.
But I am far away from being a Meistermaler.
The price for the hide war really low.
Sleeping until noon. Hahaha... My beloved government allways has a lot of honey do's for me.
I live in the lower Rhine area near the border to the Netherlands in a small town called Kempen/St.Hubert next to Krefeld.

John Luder

Entschuldigen, bitte. I took German in one of my several university attempts during the '70s. I remember "'du faules luder, du" from a film shown in class. Is luder still used to describe women of a certain type and lack of virtue? I think the quoted line was delivered to a nun. Ay carumba.
The corollary of sleeping till noon is that I'm awake at 0100 or 0200, long after the missus has gone to sleep. Plenty of quiet time for arts and crafts, that is, after I get the dining room table back after Christmas brunch.
It must be very cold up there where you are. Great excuse to stay home and paint patches.

Yogie

Yep. Luder is still in use in Germany with the same meaning. But it is a little outdated now.
No it's not cold, Currently we have 50 deg.Fahrenheit here.

John Luder

Nice weather. We're going to hit the low 70s for Christmas in Ventura County, southern Calif. Of course, we're in a drought and forbidden to water the lawn, so it's a brown Christmas in the front yard.
Typical cyclical weather for December.
Luder, outdated, yes. So's my education in German. :oops: We were in Ulm in 1986, and I was trying out my "skills". A young woman said to me, auf Englisch, "Your German is really quite awful. Would you like some help?" We shanghaied her for the rest of the day, took her to dinner with us, and offered her a place to stay if she was ever in Santa Monica. Never heard from her. Schade.

John Luder

Finished it. Happy New Year.
Dick Cole, Doolittle's co-pilot. He visited our museum years ago, and gave us a 'modern' bottle of Hennessy Cognac for our display.
I've seen several, recently done iterations of the 34th. They're all repros, embroidered and painted.
The June, 1943, National Geographic doesn't offer much help, and the bird's head is looking camara-left instead of right.
I settled on this color scheme for the museum's Doolittle display. I'll be happy to hear of anyone's ideas as to which might be more accurate. Even with modern technology and a clearer view of these patches, it's a toss-up, and trusting colorized photos is like Reagan said, "Trust, but verify".
And so, my Homies, a prosperous and healthy 2023 to you all.
IMG_8134.jpg

B-Man2

FYI
I just found a colorized photo of Cole and Doolittle and their jacket patches. Just posting it for your info. Nice job on the patch.
885744DD-151E-44ED-B968-A761646FDE85.png

B-Man2

Finished it. Happy New Year.
Dick Cole, Doolittle's co-pilot. He visited our museum years ago, and gave us a 'modern' bottle of Hennessy Cognac for our display.
I've seen several, recently done iterations of the 34th. They're all repros, embroidered and painted.
The June, 1943, National Geographic doesn't offer much help, and the bird's head is looking camara-left instead of right.
I settled on this color scheme for the museum's Doolittle display. I'll be happy to hear of anyone's ideas as to which might be more accurate. Even with modern technology and a clearer view of these patches, it's a toss-up, and trusting colorized photos is like Reagan said, "Trust, but verify".
And so, my Homies, a prosperous and healthy 2023 to you all.
View attachment 92655
CAF
My apologies for not sending you these photos sooner. They are original A2 photos of jackets worn by crew members of the Doolittle mission. I took them at the Wright Patterson USAF museum . I thought you might want them for your files .
Cheers
523B47E2-96BE-483F-A153-667199AD5083.png
CCE9C071-9E4F-46C2-B278-9B919552D572.png

John Luder

FYI
I just found a colorized photo of Cole and Doolittle and their jacket patches. Just posting it for your info. Nice job on the patch. View attachment 92657
Mahalo. I did see that, about two days into the project.
I love the fact that we can get a clean, clear close-up these magnificent men.
We have a PBJ (Navy Mitchell) at our museum. Flew in it on 11 Nov. Not given to air or sea sickness, but the fumes aft of the engines were a bit unsettling. It sounds so beautiful standing 20 feet away when it starts up. If you've wondered how loud it is inside, sit in an empty steel dumpster, with the top closed, and have about 15 friends beat the outside with 10 lb sledge hammers as fast and hard as they can.
Here I am, camera right, on one of my Navy uniform days, pulling the props through. God help me, I do love it so.

DSC_0038.JPG

John Luder

CAF
My apologies for not sending you these photos sooner. They are original A2 photos of jackets worn by crew members of the Doolittle mission. I took them at the Wright Patterson USAF museum . I thought you might want them for your files .
Cheers View attachment 92659View attachment 92661
Thanks very much. I saw something like these on some site, but I couldn't find them again. I believe they were modern patches on old jackets credited to Dick Cole and another Raider. Maybe it was the Texas museum.
The General told me his Raid A-2 was in a museum, but I don't remember if he said the Wright-Pat or the Smithsonian.
These are embroidered. Looking closely, you can see the stitch lines camera-left of the helmet patch. Re-placed, or replaced?
So many questions, and no one left to answer.
Great pics, indeed. Thanks again. Into the permanent file, with gratitude.

karlito

Very nice work! How do you get such opaque light colors? The white in particular is very solid and opaque, the darkness of the leather doesn't show through at all; multiple coats?

John Luder

Karlito, Thanks much. You, too, B-Man 2
The leather available in the LA area these days is limited, mostly to Tandy. Thrity plus years ago, I would get large skins of tan-colored leather that was 2mm thick, more or less.
Now, such a sheet would cost over $70. The stuff on the cheap table is less than $20 for a skin about 20 x 30", just under 1mm thick. It's already off-white, or some other pale color.
Using Angelus acrylic leather paint, I brush on at least four layers of white, each successive coat perpendicular to the previous.
As the paint in the bottle is getting dryer, it noticeably build and leaves more apparent brush strokes. So, I get the brush slightly wet before a wee dip in the color for a thinner wash over the larger areas. That was the case with the turquoise on the mule, and the new brown on the 34th T-Bird.
The red and yellow on the first T-Bird were blindingly vibrant, and I loved it, but further research and a big info drop from B Man 2 (perhaps one of my Beeman cousins) led me to conclude that Dick Cole's was more likely the color scheme I've repainted, tho there are other crews who seem to have the yellow stripe around the inside of the outer, brown circle.
I'll attach the new pix in thumbnail to limit the space I'm taking up.
If I were keeping them or using them, I'd give a light coat of tan Meltonian boot creme (they're back in business) then crumple the hell out of it. But the museum, at this point, wants the patches to look like they're fresh and unused. Go figure.
Count Yorgie, a side-bar to you, Herr Meistermaler,
I also highly recommend the Civil Engineers' Radius Guide for drawing the initial circles and for cleaning up those damnable jagged edges from the scissors by using a scalpel-like Exacto knife.
A judge once asked me, after a long-rambling answer, if I couldn't have just said yes or no. It was Judge Wapner's son, so I gave him crap. My answer, "No, I can't, so I don't even try." I pimped the hell outta him at every opportunity.

IMG_8169.jpgIMG_8170.jpgIMG_8172.jpg

Yogie

@ John : Nice name plate. I like the detailing of the submarine sign.

Last edited: