• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some patches I finished over the weekend...NFS...BLUIE WEST -1

ties70

Guys,

it's been a while since I last posted some patches....

Well, here is some recent work that has been done for VLJ members Thomas and Stephan. It was Stephan's idea to come up with the Frostie on the Bluie West 1 patch. As photos online show the design either embroidered or as a decal-on-leather, we decided to stencil the patch instead of painting it, to have a flat, almost printed surface.

It's been a little bit of work, but we are quite happy with the results. The guys will put them on jackets, and most likely post some pictures later, but I thought I could add some photos of the production process:

Bluie_one.jpg

Stephan wanted a mint version, Thomas opted for a little "destruction"...

Bluie_two.jpg

Bluie_three.jpg

Second patch is a night fighter patch, made the Italian way (incised):

416_NFS.jpg

416_NFS_2.jpg

And finally: A variation of the classic Felix the Cat theme...

Felix.jpg

It's basically a patched version of the stencil that I made myself for the Bronson Navy jacket:

37J1_front.jpg

Hope you liked it!

Best regards,

Ties

Last edited:

Thomas Koehle

Awesome patches - they look even better in "real" than on the pics - will post photos as soon as I have `em fixed to the jacket

ties70

Ties,
Those look terrific man. I didn’t know you knew your way around a swivel knife.

Jeremiah,

to "know my way around" is too exaggerated, but I definitely enjoy making these "Italian style" patches.

There was one guy around here years ago, who made the patches in this classic way...not sure if he made a business out of it, but he was definitely reluctant to show any details of the process. Had to figure it out by myself...which knife to use (started with a surgical scalpel), how to moisten the leather to get a clean but opening cut. Coloring these incised patches is much more forgiving than the painted ones, too...

Take care,

Ties

shedonwanna

Jeremiah,

to "know my way around" is too exaggerated, but I definitely enjoy making these "Italian style" patches.

There was one guy around here years ago, who made the patches in this classic way...not sure if he made a business out of it, but he was definitely reluctant to show any details of the process. Had to figure it out by myself...which knife to use (started with a surgical scalpel), how to moisten the leather to get a clean but opening cut. Coloring these incised patches is much more forgiving than the painted ones, too...

Take care,

Ties
Ties,
best way to learn is to just give it a try. And it looks like you figured it out. The scalpel is good for fine details but the swivel knife has a thicker blade - just light pressure, not to deep. Roberto is the king of incised patches; I own several of his works. He is still active but doesn't post much here lately.
http://italianpatchmaker.it/works.html

Another artist, Jerome Urbaniak, painted a few but i haven't heard from him in years. And then there's me. I'm always available for advice. Here's a 416th i incised a while back.

416thnfs_adj.jpg