• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

Capt. Earle Carlow (Skowhegan, ME) of 335 Sqn. Joined 335 on 22 January 1943 and was with them until 21 March 1944 when his Mustang was damaged strafing an aerodrome in France and had to bail out and was made a POW. Earle escaped though on 7 May 1944 and via an epic journey returned to the UK via Spain on 10 June 1944.

d1LFacG.jpg

Pa12

Gonna say, the Horween I have on my Poughkeepsie is certainly nice and soft and I certainly buck the trend when it comes to trim jackets, have alway preferred a loose fit with room to layer
There is a few now who have Horween leather from John, be interested if they think the same or if fortunate maybe can compare a Horween A2 next to Shinki or Italian leather which I think might be veg tanned?!
Gw bronco horween and gw 23380 Italian hh. Both 44. Right now the bronco is a lot stiffer, although it doesn’t have the wear of the rw yet.
4762F04F-407F-4479-8A09-D7D59EAB7295.jpeg
3AF96E4F-16DB-44D3-9CE3-3C5B46B41675.jpeg

MauldinFan

You want jackets that are trim fitting and "bespoke" looking.
Not me!
Maybe it's because early on (I started doing WW2 living history events at the age of 18), I wore A2s over a flight suit or WW2 uniforms (often, both), so tight-fighting never made sense to me for a flight jacket.
That, and active-duty experiences later on taught me you always want extra room for something underneath said jacket. So, I always like them with more room than to wear a T-shirt underneath, even though that's how I wear a flight jackets these days, more often than now.

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

For today's Dude I thought we'd have the guy who took over Stephenson's Jug (from the previous post) as his personal mount.

Here we have 1Lt. Peter Lehman from NYC, NY. He joined 336 on the 25 August 1943 and flew with them until he was sadly killed in a flying accident during a training exercise on the 31 March 1944.

The civvy jacket guys will love this, this is him wearing a non-issue leather jacket in front of a Jug...

BJn95PX.jpg

Smithy

...I forgot to add that Lehman was the son of the Governor of NY. He also added an acronym to the Jug that Stephenson had when he took it over (along with the penguin in the tails artwork as seen above) which was "B.E.V.O.A.P.A.B.M" which meant 'Birds Eye View of a Pig's Arse by Moonlight'

:cool:

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

Capt. William "Brad" Hoelscher (Indianapolis, IN) of 334 Sqn. Hoelscher joined 334 on 12 August 1944 and was with the squadron until he was shot down by flak whilst chasing a Me262 jet on 25 April 1945. He evaded capture for 13 days which included stealing a motorcycle until he could escape back to Allied territory. He had 2.5 victories and scored another 1 during the Korean War.

VGKD4VJ.jpg

jack31916

Dude of the Day...

For today's Dude I thought we'd have the guy who took over Stephenson's Jug (from the previous post) as his personal mount.

Here we have 1Lt. Peter Lehman from NYC, NY. He joined 336 on the 25 August 1943 and flew with them until he was sadly killed in a flying accident during a training exercise on the 31 March 1944.

The civvy jacket guys will love this, this is him wearing a non-issue leather jacket in front of a Jug...

BJn95PX.jpg
Sorry to say but this is not a civvy leather jacket but more likely an early type M-1938 Parsons jacket, the predecessor of the M-1941 jacket

Regards from Jack

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

1Lt. John "Pappy" Lutz from Fulton, MO who as a former Eagle with 71 Sqn, flew with 334 from 16 September 1942 until 4 May 1943 when, on a withdrawal support mission, he had to bail out over the North Sea near Flushing due to a smoking engine. Sadly he was never found. RIP.

F8IGIEz.jpg