• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Smithy

Where did you get all these pics Smithy? Fantastic stuff. I always get a little, "ooooh", when I see the threads been updated ;)

Hi Brett and thanks mate!

I usually pick the Dude of the Day from one of my books on the 4th and if the image is at the American Air Museum in Britain that saves me the faff of scanning it so I'll use their digital version, otherwise I'll scan it like the last one I just posted.

I was just thinking today that although this thread is 40 pages long there's still so many more photos of the 4th which haven't been posted, so there'll be more to come for awhile yet ;-)

Micawber

Nice pics Tim. The AAM, or rather some of their representatives, have something of a history of snaffling images then posting them on their website.

Smithy

Probably fairly safe in here Tim but you never know. Facebook is their most popular haunt.

In truth I don't really mind if they use them Steve, or anyone else here for that matter. Lots of the guys that I make Dudes of the Day are little known or long forgotten fellows who flew with the 4th but most people would never know or hear about. It's a nice idea if this little thread gets people thinking about not just the famous guys from the 4th but also remembering the little known and forgotten fellas who flew the same missions and took the same risks. They deserve the same admiration and acknowledgement.

Micawber

In truth I don't really mind if they use them Steve, or anyone else here for that matter. Lots of the guys that I make Dudes of the Day are little known or long forgotten fellows who flew with the 4th but most people would never know or hear about. It's a nice idea if this little thread gets people thinking about not just the famous guys from the 4th but also remembering the little known and forgotten fellas who flew the same missions and took the same risks. They deserve the same admiration and acknowledgement.

Agree wholeheartedly Tim, they are of course all worthy of being remembered. I apologise for allowing my pet issue with the AAM to taint the thread.

Smithy

Agree wholeheartedly Tim, they are of course all worthy of being remembered. I apologise for allowing my pet issue with the AAM to taint the thread.

No worries whatsoever Steve and if anyone on here has done a lot about remembering USAAF servicemen it's you my friend! I realised that you were talking about one of these big organisations which tend to bulldoze through and suck up information, photos like a vacuum cleaner.

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

Today it's Capt Robert "Junior" Priser of Tucson, Ariz. Junior was a former Eagle (71 and 133 Sqns) and served with 334 becoming A Flight commander in September 1943. He survived the war, commanding the 353rd FS post war and became an aviation engineer - he was test engineer for Hughes Aviation.

Might be just me but I think he looks a lot like VLJ member Phil ( @Griffon_301 )

media-17430.jpeg

Smithy

Dude of the Day...

Major Michael McPharlin.

Bit of a different one today as this guy wasn't strictly a member of the 4th. However he had flown as an Eagle in 71 Sqn and was very close with the guys in 334. Because of this he was often "loaned" to 334 and flew missions with them so as a 4th FG pilot. Sadly he was lost on D-Day flying with the 4th. His engine was running very rough and he had magneto problems and turned for home. Tragically he was never heard from again.

media-18009.jpeg

media-13575.jpeg