• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some of the 4th FG and a lot of A-2s

Greg Gale

Has this one been posted?

61D471B2-54BF-476A-9D5E-AAD66075CFBA.jpeg

Smithy

Looks to be a Spit with US markings . I know he flew them in the Eagle Squadron and I know we had a recon unit that flew spits but were there any other US groups using them ?

Like Greg said Burt. There were only 3 FGs that used them and the other 2 were in the MTO. The 4th was the only US FG that used them over northern Europe and only because that was all they had when they transferred from the RAF. The top brass though were keen for the media starlets that the Eagles/4th were to have US flyboys flying US planes hence the fairly quick transition to Jugs. Blakeslee was never a convert though and rallied the powers-that-be for P-51Bs as soon as it became clear they would be introduced. He obviously harassed, begged, threatened them enough because he got his "long range Spitfires" as he called them.

There were also 2 PRGs that used them in US service too.

Smithy

What amazed me most about the transition to the P-51 is that they did it in one day... ONE friggin' day!! That speaks volume on the leadership abilities of Blakeslee and the general level of the 4th FG.

Yup, Blakeslee had promised General Kepner he'd do it in 24 hours. Blakeslee was shrewd though as he knew a lot of the pilots had a lot of time logged on Spits and the mechanics had worked on Rolls-Royce Merlins from the Spitfire days.

Brettafett

Perhaps this is for a =diiferent thread, but has anyone else watch 'Airdogs'?

Its actually quite brilliant. You follow two pilots, one an AF test pilot 10,000 hrs, the other, a PPL with 300 hrs.
They take turns flying different planes, incl a B-25 and a Lancaster.... and my favourite, going from a Stearman, to a Harvard and on to a P-51 - fascinating insights

Smithy

Perhaps this is for a =diiferent thread, but has anyone else watch 'Airdogs'?

Its actually quite brilliant. You follow two pilots, one an AF test pilot 10,000 hrs, the other, a PPL with 300 hrs.
They take turns flying different planes, incl a B-25 and a Lancaster.... and my favourite, going from a Stearman, to a Harvard and on to a P-51 - fascinating insights

Haven't seen it Brett, I'll check it out. Thanks for the link!

B-Man2

Like Greg said Burt. There were only 3 FGs that used them and the other 2 were in the MTO. The 4th was the only US FG that used them over northern Europe and only because that was all they had when they transferred from the RAF. The top brass though were keen for the media starlets that the Eagles/4th were to have US flyboys flying US planes hence the fairly quick transition to Jugs. Blakeslee was never a convert though and rallied the powers-that-be for P-51Bs as soon as it became clear they would be introduced. He obviously harassed, begged, threatened them enough because he got his "long range Spitfires" as he called them.

There were also 2 PRGs that used them in US service too.
Tim
Thanks for that . I’m always learning from this forum and guys like yourself . Deeply appreciate the info.

Griffon_301

Ehm, regarding Spits in US service, do not forget the US Navy pilots flying Spitfires in the Artillery Spotter Pool for the DDay landings...their Spits also carried US markings and were operated within the USN as replacement for their usual Curtiss and Vought floatplanes which were deemed too vulnerable to operate over the landing beachheads...

Smithy

Ehm, regarding Spits in US service, do not forget the US Navy pilots flying Spitfires in the Artillery Spotter Pool for the DDay landings...their Spits also carried US markings and were operated within the USN as replacement for their usual Curtiss and Vought floatplanes which were deemed too vulnerable to operate over the landing beachheads...

Very true Phil and I should probably have been more specific but I was referring to those in USAAF service as that's what the 4th belonged to.

I always forget the navy guys ;-)

Griffon_301

Ah sure :)
as the USAAF PR squadrons flying the Recce Spits were already mentioned, I loved the short documentary about Spitfire '944, ...

Smithy

Ah sure :)
as the USAAF PR squadrons flying the Recce Spits were already mentioned, I loved the short documentary about Spitfire '944, ...

The look on that guy's face when he realises it's him in the wartime film is priceless. Great little film.

Cocker

I thought the Spitfires of VCS-7 carried british markings, though. Do you have any pictures with US markings?