• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Some nice WW2 nose-art and paint-jobs on B-24s

Micawber

Wasn't that a "rally plane?" Sent up first for the rest of the squadron to rally around, then the plane would get them on the right track and return home.

Highly visible for the rest of the pilots.

I remember seeing one with big polka dots.

Sorry, "Assembly Ships."

Not so much return home but rather for a group to form up on before heading out on a mission. Pretty much what Otter stated really:)

Chandler

Not so much return home but rather for a group to form up on before heading out on a mission. Pretty much what Otter stated really:)
I meant return home after the group formed up.

Wasn't there really only one of these assembly ships that went on a full mission?

They had no armament, after all! :oops:

flyincowboy

Been told that they were only used for getting the planes in boxes . when done they made a big U TURN OVER THE CHANNEL to the base were they belongs.

Chandler

"Spotted Ass Ape continued with its formation all the way to Germany."

In that Wiki link, but they don't tell the whole story. Gotta wonder.

flyincowboy

B24 pinup painting Vargas model

pinup painting.jpg

Smithy

There was generally one "assembly" ship per group and the system was introduced in the latter half of 1943. Each only had a very basic crew of five or six people: two pilots, a navigator, a radio operator and either one or two crew members to discharge flares. The aircraft would be the first to take off and then loiter waiting for its group to form up, and then lead them to the rendezvous point with the other groups in the raid, whereupon they would bugger off back to base. As Otter says they were called "Judas Goats" as they were leading others to their slaughter.

Micawber

Sorry no photos but please pause for a moment to reflect.

This PFF aircraft and its lead crew crashed minutes after take off less than a mile and in full view of our farmhouse where I sit typing this. Yesterday I placed flowers at the crash site 78 years to the day since that fateful morning.

Lest We Forget.

453 BG Acc Rep 26 Nov 44a.jpg

Chandler

Sorry no photos but please pause for a moment to reflect.

This PFF aircraft and its lead crew crashed minutes after take off less than a mile and in full view of our farmhouse where I sit typing this. Yesterday I placed flowers at the crash site 78 years to the day since that fateful morning.

Lest We Forget.

View attachment 86910
The mind reels with attempted thoughts trying to imagine how these men grasped their mission in a world war.

May they rest in peace and their memories remain a blessing to their ancestors.

Flightengineer

All cemeteries are the same, both human and aircraft. Then the world had just experienced the most terrible war and rather wanted to forget about it, now we are looking at these photos, especially with art, and we think what a pity ...
Although I personally find it very difficult to look at such photos. One day I accidentally witnessed the disposal of an ordinary passenger plane that had served its purpose ... it hurts to see and hear this terrible sound. The plane, like a living wounded bird, doesn't want to die. I still keep on the wall the steering wheel from the plane on which I once worked and which was disposed. Maybe I'm too sentimental or it's the cost of the profession. But I remember how the guys from my crew and I just hated that guy who controlled the guillotine that ruined the plane, for us he was just an executioner.