• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soldier of Fortune : Roughout Boots by Mil-Tec

ausreenactor

I received Sno-Seal beeswax and coated my boots this afternoon.
The color change is radical... and I love it ! They really look more authentic now. Ready to land on Omaha beach. :)

I put a lot of wax on them... they're still greasy but I guess the leather will absorb the extra wax.

View attachment 52877

View attachment 52878
Holy crap. These are over ten years old... tried a light coat of Dubbin but not a significant change like that!

16130281342677907059180407277051.jpg

Greg Gale

Now how long do I have to let them ‘dry’?

also, how waterproof are they now? Can I walk in deep snow? Or is it more for rainy weather?

Kermit3D

I let it dry for 3 or 4 hours, but I don't think it's important. Mostly I've been blow-drying all over again. You can see the excess wax melting and penetrating the leather. Right after that it was dry to the touch.
I think you can walk in the snow without any problem, it's made for it.
No snow in the south of France so I can't do the test...

Last edited:

B-Man2

Hi guys
I’ve worn these for years and can tell you that no matter how well you impregnate them with dubbing , you can never cover every little crevice and stitch hole and they eventually will let small amounts of water into the boot . Overall they are very water repellant but not waterproof . There’s a difference.

Enigma1938

Hi guys
I’ve worn these for years and can tell you that no matter how well you impregnate them with dubbing , you can never cover every little crevice and stitch hole and they eventually will let small amounts of water into the boot . Overall they are very water repellant but not waterproof . There’s a difference.

Yours were from mil tec too? Or was it a different brand? If mil tec, do you had any issues with the soles over the years? I just ask because like I mentioned before mine wore out relatively quick. The seams on the bottom of the soles were rubbed through after just a few weeks of wear, also the profile vanished quick.
I don't know if mil tec has improved their boots in the last few years but I think back then when I bought the boots they used too soft rubber for the sole. Otherwise the boots were great.

B-Man2

Yours were from mil tec too? Or was it a different brand? If mil tec, do you had any issues with the soles over the years? I just ask because like I mentioned before mine wore out relatively quick. The seams on the bottom of the soles were rubbed through after just a few weeks of wear, also the profile vanished quick.
I don't know if mil tec has improved their boots in the last few years but I think back then when I bought the boots they used too soft rubber for the sole. Otherwise the boots were great.
My boots came from ATF and I purchased them about 5 or 6 years ago . I wear them daily and use them for all jobs around the house or going out . They have held up very well .
the soles have also held up well . But I have to say that the boots I recommended as low priced options , the Ralph Lauren boots are actually holding up better than these now . They are my “ nice” knock around boots and the corded soles are tough as nails .

Chandler

Out of curiosity: would roughouts be ever worn by USAAF pilots, or was it strictly an Army boot?
Pretty sure pilots got ahold of them too, just as they did tanker jackets.

FWIW -- I have an older pair of ATF Roughouts that I never dubbed -- Hilts' never looked dubbed. ;-)

I only wear them on and off because they're not the best for my flat feet (there's absolutely no support on the insole), but they've held up well for the early, cheaper model ATF sold.

Last edited:

jack31916

Not much need to grease the roughouts for waterproofing when sitting in a cockpit...
The brown leather ankleboots from the army and paratrooper boots are also to be seen in the pictures. Plenty of choice