• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soldier of Fortune : Roughout Boots by Mil-Tec

jerome35

Hi Jérôme!
Is this it ?

In this video, these are the same shoes I ordered. He recommends using :
- ox foot oil to be applied with a brush
- then brown polish to stain the seams
- then some "impregnite"

Tu es français Jérôme ? :)

C'est le produit montré par B-man2, il faut le laisser au chaud et bien l'étaler ;)

Greg Gale

Any good sources of sno seal in europe? Or any alternative products that are good? Ordering from the US wouldn’t be worth it.

Cocker

Indeed, maybe try ASMC.com, in Germany, instead of the french website.

(Damn, when I was doing airsoft, there was no such thing as ASMC.fr... ^^)

Smithy

Sno Seal is awesome stuff, been using it for years. It's an annual ritual at Chez Smithy, I do all my boots with Sno Seal before winter hits.

Little tip - Use a blow dryer to warm the leather and melt it in as well. Don't overdo it, just enough heat to warm the leather slightly and then melt the Sno Seal into the leather.

Kermit3D

I received Sno-Seal beeswax and coated my boots this afternoon.
The color change is radical... and I love it ! They really look more authentic now. Ready to land on Omaha beach. :)

I put a lot of wax on them... they're still greasy but I guess the leather will absorb the extra wax.

comparatif.jpg

DSC_0264.jpg

jerome35

They look splendid, well done! You can use a hair dryer to help removing surplus with a cloth if needed, but I find these now perfect.

Flightengineer

Looks cool now! @Kermit3D, any new impressions? How comfortable is it to walk in? How stiff is the outsole? I understand that all this is subjective and it would still be interesting.

B-Man2

Agree with Jerome . A hot hairdryer will melt the wax into the creases and thread holes and let the wax permeate past the surface of the boot insuring better water repellency .

Greg Gale

My sno seal is on its way to me. Could anyone please write down how to apply it and which step the hairdryer would be? Any mistakes to avoid? Thanks!

jerome35

Greg, I suggest you to let your sno seal on a warm place first, then heat a little the place you want to apply it with a hair dryer for example, apply sno seal with a dry cloth, a brush if you need on some seams.

Kermit3D

Great!
Personally, I started by heating the boots with a hair dryer.
Then I applied a first layer of wax with a cloth. Immediately the color became much darker.
When I finished both boots, I heated the shoes again with the hair dryer.
I then reapplied a thinner layer of wax.

The final color is not very homogeneous, there are lighter and darker shades. It doesn't bother me but you have to know that.
I think that these shades are inevitable and that it doesn't come from the way I apply the wax.

In the end, I'm very happy with the result. I just hope that the greasy aspect of the boots will disappear.

Kermit3D

On instructions (which I read afterwards... as often :)), they suggest to put shoes in the oven (not too hot) before applying the wax.

Kermit3D

I heated it up again with the hair dryer. It melted the excess wax and the greasy look totally disappeared. The color has also homogenized. :)

I have one shoe a little darker than the other... but it was already like that before applying the wax.

B-Man2

Honestly guys I wouldn’t waste my time with concerns of color of boots , or one boot is lighter etc . Here’s why .. the next time you get ready to dubbed your boots again, ( and you will need to after a year or two) , none of your issues will be if any concern . Here are my boots after 5 years of daily wear .
4BCA813E-3FCE-482D-9626-3ED7F081DF6E.jpeg
82BA5270-1362-47F9-AD85-197AC7EBB860.jpeg
A2B97F34-554B-4B59-94D5-1631061F3FA2.jpeg

See what I mean ?;)